Burnham's Ledge Dive Report and Request for Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You all may be surprised that the fishermem may be thankful and want the net back, they do cost money and a ghost net that get entangled in their gear also costs them money. Ask them and give them a chance to help or not.

MurkyRockDiver:
You all may be surprised that the fishermem may be thankful and want the net back, they do cost money and a ghost net that get entangled in their gear also costs them money. Ask them and give them a chance to help or not.

Should they get the dead seal back too.......:shakehead:

Two of my buddies used to be gill net fisherman, they would catch dolphins, seals, even turtles. Pretty disgusting way to fish IMHO. I would never do anything to help gill netters out, not they would want a damaged net back anyways.

I was just trying to say if they needed help the fishermen might help if asked. I didn't see they had already salvaged the net, and with the help of a fishermen.

That is great to hear the net is cleared up! I look forward to returning to the site.

One of my crew members used to be a commercial fisherman, and he refers to Gill Netters as "Kill Netters" because of the bycatch and damage....ugh. I'm glad it's cleared up.

--Matt

MurkyRockDiver:

If they are so thankful, why didn't they get the net untangled themselves?

matt_unique:
That is great to hear the net is cleared up! I look forward to returning to the site.

One of my crew members used to be a commercial fisherman, and he refers to Gill Netters as "Kill Netters" because of the bycatch and damage....ugh. I'm glad it's cleared up.

--Matt

Maybe gillnets could be outlawd.

Rainer:
Net is gone. Was at Burnham's today (Gauntlet) and all that remains is a dead seal. I heard Fran cleared it up last week (with a local fisherman). Vis today was in excess of 35' (we could see the rock when we dropped off the line at 50').
Did you dive the poling too?
When we went out the gauntlet was there.
I was on the yellow boat that tied off too the other mooring.
RicK L

Rick L:
Did you dive the poling too?
When we went out the gauntlet was there.
I was on the yellow boat that tied off too the other mooring.
RicK L

Yup. You guys have good dives? Vis on the Poling was decent, but no where near what we had at Burnham's.

Rainer:
Yup. You guys have good dives? Vis on the Poling was decent, but no where near what we had at Burnham's.
I was doing the safety diver thing (one diver was on first wreck dive)
So I kind of just following him and watching his actions.
But was still a nice dive!
We did anouther at great egg rock real bad there vis about 6 feet.
Lots of divers on the gauntlet!
Rick L

I was readin in Acadia the FEDS are making a new net laws to protect whales. Something about neutral and negatively bouyants nets after a certain date that lobstermen are protesting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom