buy steel and if so what size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
I think Ive decided to buy a steel tank rather than always renting an aluminum 80. Ive done some research but have questions I can't find answers to. Im looking at buying a PST steel tank either the E8-130 or E7-120. Im 6'4" and not a delicate frame so the size of the tanks arent that big of an issue for me. One question I have is, if I can make a NDL dive with more than 500psi to spare, then why should I go with such a large tank for rec dives? Assuming I come up with a good reason to carry almost twice the air on my back, should I go with the longer 120's(thinking if I ever get a second and band them together, having the longer tanks would help compensate for head down attitude due to manifold) or get the extra 10 cuft? I plan on taking an advance Nitrox class and learn about going beyone the NDL. If I decide to go ahead and get the tank and decide to use it as nitrox, what do I do if I go out on a boat that doesnt fill nitrox? Take a second tank and change my weighting? If this is the case, then it seems like one more argument for the E7. I wouldnt have to change my tank straps to run an al80.

In my opinion, you can't have too much air... As you can obviously support the bigger tank, I would get it. I use the larger tank as well. If your buddy or other gets in a low on air or an out of air situation, you'll be glad for the extra air on your back. Espically if it happens at 100 fsw. My 2 cents..

Well I was in a LDS and noticed an E8-119 stashed away that no one else saw, so I bought it. Killer price too, I guess the shop owner is too honest to believe in supply and demand. I cant wait to try it out next weekend at an oil rig.

I suspect that based only on your size you'd find that the E7-120s preferable. When used as singles I suspect that the capacity difference is negligible. If you begin looking at doubles then trim issues need to be considered. You would likely benefit from renting one of each and comparing them. The shop that you're going through should be able to make this happen in order to get the sale.

I use double PST120s for most boat dives and double PST 80s for beach dives. One of my favorite things about larger tanks are the facts that you can make an ndl dive and have enough gas for your buddy if needed, or you can make another dive without changing tanks. This month I made four dives, with two of them being 100'+ and the other two in the 70-80' range without changing tanks. Saves a lot on airfills, but after having beck surgery in the future it's a wash. :D

Ok, I was looking at my shiny new tank and I noticed two stickers (besides the huge one) they both seem to be visual inspections. Can I get rid of one of these? I dont like having the big sticker that says PST, I paid them for the tank, why should I advertise for them unless they pay me?
first sticker is visual inspection from pst, second sticker is from PSI and says visual inspection to PSI, OSHA, and CGA; Eddy Current Exam=NO
they both have the date on them. Is there problems with removing any of these stickers, if I try to remove the big pst sticker, will it come off clean or will it leave sticky stuff all over? TIA

David P:
Ok, I was looking at my shiny new tank and I noticed two stickers (besides the huge one) they both seem to be visual inspections. Can I get rid of one of these? I dont like having the big sticker that says PST, I paid them for the tank, why should I advertise for them unless they pay me?
first sticker is visual inspection from pst, second sticker is from PSI and says visual inspection to PSI, OSHA, and CGA; Eddy Current Exam=NO
they both have the date on them. Is there problems with removing any of these stickers, if I try to remove the big pst sticker, will it come off clean or will it leave sticky stuff all over? TIA

I took off all the PST stickers off of my tanks. The only sticker you will need is a shop visual sticker. If you are diving nitrox get a visual with a nitrox label on it. Don't bother putting the big Nitrox band around it. You'll get gouged and extra $15. for each one and then have to remove it when you get your next vis.

You will have to use some sort of sticker remover. First use a razor blade. Try acetone for where the sticker was. Can't quite remember what I used.

David P:
One question I have is, if I can make a NDL dive with more than 500psi to spare, then why should I go with such a large tank for rec dives?

When you start to understand what "rock bottom" is you will then realize that returning to the surface with only 500 psi may not be enough. At 130' on a PST 130 you will want to turn your dive at with at least 1300 psi as long as you are still in NDL.

David P:
Assuming I come up with a good reason to carry almost twice the air on my back, should I go with the longer 120's(thinking if I ever get a second and band them together, having the longer tanks would help compensate for head down attitude due to manifold) or get the extra 10 cuft?
The 120's should have a better balance point for you. Another way to have an affect on this is what you are using for a BCD. If you use a weight belt or weight integrated that will have a different affect on you vs a BPW.

David P:
I plan on taking an advance Nitrox class and learn about going beyone the NDL.
If you are going to do deco dives then more gas, more gas, more gas. As another poster(s) pointed out, you can't have too much back gas. On my 130's I almost never come up with less than 1000 psi and generally a lot more than that. Many times I'll do a second shallow dive and still be down for an hour and come up with 500.

David P:
If I decide to go ahead and get the tank and decide to use it as nitrox, what do I do if I go out on a boat that doesnt fill nitrox?

Get more of the same type of tanks. As you can't have too much back gas, you can't have too many tanks.

Simply put, I feel the best policy is to dive with a tank you plan to buy and see how you like it. You sometimes cannot dive with the exact tank you intend to buy, but the dive shop might be able to hook you up with a rental tank with the exact same particulars. You may even like doubles better as many of us do here. Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom