? buying 1st set of equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dadiver

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I just started diving and I am in the process of choosing some gear. The areas we will be diving in mostly are: Gulf of Mexico, Panhandle of Florida and the Caribbean. I don’t think I will be in cool water too often or water less than 70 degrees. I should also mention I live near a saltwater lake (15’ to 20’ deep) where I will be spear fishing.

Is the equipment listed below suitable for the type of diving I described. I would appreciate your feedback.

Fins: Scuba Pro Twin Jets (not black)
Snorkel: Scuba Pro Phoenix
Mask: Scuba Pro Clear Vu2
Reg: Aqualung Legend
BC: Sea-Quest Black Diamond
Alt Air: Sea-Quest Air Source
Computer: Suunto Vytec with air integration
Boots: Scuba Pro Deck Sole Boots 5mm
Wet Suit: Body Glove Thermolator COMP 3/2mm

dadiver once bubbled...
My wife and I just started diving and I am in the process of choosing some gear. The areas we will be diving in mostly are: Gulf of Mexico, Panhandle of Florida and the Caribbean. I don’t think I will be in cool water too often or water less than 70 degrees. I should also mention I live near a saltwater lake (15’ to 20’ deep) where I will be spear fishing.

Is the equipment listed below suitable for the type of diving I described. I would appreciate your feedback.

Fins: Scuba Pro Twin Jets (not black)
Snorkel: Scuba Pro Phoenix
Mask: Scuba Pro Clear Vu2
Reg: Aqualung Legend
BC: Sea-Quest Black Diamond
Alt Air: Sea-Quest Air Source
Computer: Suunto Vytec with air integration
Boots: Scuba Pro Deck Sole Boots 5mm
Wet Suit: Body Glove Thermolator COMP 3/2mm

It all sounds fine except the BC and octo.

Don't get the Air Source. Get a real secondary regulator. What happens when there's an emergency? The OOA person gets your primary, which is on a hose way too short for air sharing, and then you have to breathe off your inflator hose... and manage to dump air from your BC as you ascend with it in your mouth. Not a good solution.

The BC you chose looks very... clunky and over-designed. A lot of people around here seem to swear by the Dive Rite Transpac II. It's fairly clean and functional. You can pick up the TP with Travel Wings for like $330 at leisurepro.com

I like the Twin Jets just fine, and so do a lot of people.

I'd also suggest you get a computer without air integration and get a good brass SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom