Buying diving gear in Singapore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wima

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, could somebody give me a few pointers what would be the best places in Singapore to buy diving equipment. I'm only looking for basic stuff such as new mask, fins, booties etc.

All diveshops I have found (three in Lucky Placa and two in Shaw house) have pretty limited selections and dubious pricing methods. I noticed that you really need to know how much you are supposed to pay, otherwise they will overcharge you blind... :eek:

Is it worth to make a trip to KL or somewhere else nearby?

Thanks in advance,

Wima

If I was in Finland, I would buy online from www.diveinn.com . But if you are really serious about buying here, it's better to check out the price on diveinn first, compare it to the Singapore prices, learn that some items are cheaper while some are more expensive.

Perhaps if you gave me an idea of what exactly, brand model you want to purchase, I can tell you where to get them.

There is 3 more dive shops/dive centres in Concourse (Beach Road).

One is distributor of Scubapro, the other is Oceanic. The last one, I'm not too sure, but think they carry Mares/Camaro/etc...

Wima once bubbled...
All diveshops I have found (three in Lucky Placa and two in Shaw house) have pretty limited selections and dubious pricing methods. I noticed that you really need to know how much you are supposed to pay, otherwise they will overcharge you blind... :eek:

Wima

Hey Wima. Lucky is where I bought my Stinger from. I was taken there by some local friends who'd also bought their gear there. The Stinger was priced at NZ$850, which was about $400 cheaper than what I would've paid had I bought it in NZ. Comparing the prices of their other gear (off the top of my head), they do sell at a lot cheaper prices than NZ.

It's best to do your research first, and also make sure you bargain with them. They're always keen to do a deal. Happy hunting.

Yes the Concourse on Beach Road is a good bet. Plenty of brands to choose from. The third shop carry Mares, Dacor, and Camaro stuff. But they have a wide range of brands in masks, so you'll find something you like, I think. The shop is called Waikiki Dive.

Oceanic is rather expensive, IMHO. But Richmond Supplies (Scubapro distributor) is great.

There are also shops in Riverside Point (opposite Clarke Quay) - Deep Blue and Dive In (Blue Wave). Both have a good range of stuff to choose from. Dive In even has an online shop where you can check out prices - www.asiandive.com

There are two other shops at the Riverwalk building. It's that building between Boat Quay and Clarke Quay. Living Seas - www.livingseas.com.sg - carry Cressi-sub, O'Neill and Halcyon while Friendly Waters stock more Mares stuff.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking of buying Cressi Horizon mask, if it happens to fit my face, and Mares fins so I'm gonna check out those shops.

MerKiwi, I too noticed that bargaining is a good idea, especially in Lucky Plaza. I bought an Oceanic backpack there recently and after some negotiations ended up paying about 40% less than what it initially said on the price tag. I would prefer more transparent pricing but guess that's only because I'm used to it. In Finland you practically always pay what it says on the tag. Shops price equipment pretty much according to their 'worth' so you can use price as an indicator of quality and comparing the shops is also easier.

Well, anyways, thanks again. I think I will now find the gear I'm looking for.

Btw, anybody going to Thailand in late November or Sipadan in early December. I'm trying to take everything out of the last month I'm spending here. Hopefully that includes a lot of diving... :D

- Wima

Always do your homework 1st before stepping into Lucky Plaza.

The prices on the tag are higher than what I get at the Concourse. Even with sharp bargining, assuming that I can find the same brand and model, both places, Concourse seems to be cheaper.

Lower rents I suppose.

Just wanted to say... dunno anything about the shops out there, but the Big Eye mask is awsome ;o)

i took the silicone clear one, but it's sometimes a problem if you go snorkelling a little, as with the reflection of light on the surface, it can prevent you from seeing all things you want ;o)

so you might still consider having a cheapo or other mask of non-transparent color for snorkelling ;o)

have fun with the bigEye ;op

cheers
milka

neve once bubbled...

MerKiwi, if you had bought the dive comp in SG for use in NZ, what's the warranty situation like?

Hey Neve,

I always enquire about (purchasing) an Intl. warranty if I buy anything overseas. Apparently any Suunto dealer in NZL would fix any defects but thankfully I haven't had to test this yet. :)

Back
Top Bottom