Buying Equipment for Travel - Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinclairworld,
This is the same thing I was thinking about when I started diving. My mask was the first thing I bought, since it is a prescription mask. But otherwise, if you must own only two things, let them be a regulator and a computer. Your regulator is life support equipment. Do you want to use one kept to Mexican standards of maintenance? Own it yourself, get it serviced regularly, and get that warm fuzzy feeling. If you rent a computer, you will be unfamiliar with it, and thus likely to make a mistake. When you own your own stuff and learn it well, you are probably going to be safer.

At this point, I own everything but tanks and weights. This means I travel with a lot of junk!

I go over my equipment it before traveling, and I never let the dive mates on the boat put it together for me (as they will sometimes do without permission, if not stopped). "Full service" vacation outfits usually assume that it's a perk to have your kit assembled, but I recommend that you always do it yourself. If insta-buddies are not following the rules - not doing pre-dive checks, etc., don't be peer-pressured into being unsafe. You can be a leader and say to the diver you just met, "Let's do this right."

One nice thing about having everything is that you can do shore dives at a moment's notice, or simply use your fins/mask/snorkel to lay in the reefs from shore, without renting anything, any time you want.

in my head I was referring to the overhang as the bottom, I had forgotton it goes that deep!!!

Nice video, that is much better vis than I got when I was there.

I'm guessing that the girl that the camera focusses on mostly for the 1st few minutes is very innexperienced, finning like mad to stay up at the same level as the guide as opposed to setting her buoyancy and hanging like some of the others.

Excellent advice I do plan to stay within my limits... even if it means hiring a guide privately who will stay at 60ft. But I do plan to at least, make a visit of it.

While I appreciate the info on the trip, my real questions revolve around the equipment "I NEED" to take/buy to avoid problems with hiring/renting while there. BCDs can be bulky. Since you have all been to Belize/Cancuun... it is necessary to bring one on this trip or it is relatively easy and safe to hire?

Thanks again for all the input and help!!!

Cancun has an unjust bad rep, the ammount of American businesses and custom down there create a demand for quality, I used Manta divers who were pretty good. I had all my own equipment so don't really recall the rental stuff, in cancun I was actualy the only person diving as I was pretty much the only person in cancun (I went just when the swine flu thing kicked off) In Belize however the equipment looked OK enough but definately well used.

I heard more along the way about bad equipment in Belize as opposed to Mexico but this is not something that I could comment on first hand.

In terms of what to take I guess that has now been covered in the thread so far.

While I appreciate the info on the trip, my real questions revolve around the equipment "I NEED" to take/buy to avoid problems with hiring/renting while there. BCDs can be bulky. Since you have all been to Belize/Cancuun... it is necessary to bring one on this trip or it is relatively easy and safe to hire?

You've gotten some great advice. Travel BCs are light, usually around 4 to 5 pounds, pack small and are relatively cheap. Check out the Aqualung Zuma or the Zeagle Express Tech. These are more than adequate for warm water diving.

I recommend you take all your own gear, including a BC, rather than relying on the vagaries of rental gear with potential availability, condition, and fit issues.

The cenotes are fantastic.

The Blue Hole is a unique dive but many divers feel like it's a "been there done that" type of dive. The other dives in the BH area may very well be the best of your trip.

Have fun! My wife and I make a point to go to Playa/Cozumel or Belize every year.

Back
Top Bottom