Buying my first gear (Help needed!) 12l doubletanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I started diving a month ago and got really hooked. I did SSI owd, advanced owd, deep dive to 40m and nitrox to EAN40 courses. Also did a dry suit try-out and sidemount try-out. Now I want to buy my own gear and start to get more experience and slowly get into tech diving.

I want to buy 12l twintanks and I have 2 options at the moment that I'm looking. I'm buying them used and I have 2 options. Other one is a bit cheaper, but it's about 7-8 years old setup (12l twin tank, regs, wig, plate). The other one is a bit more expensive but everything is only 2 years old (tanks, regs, wing, plate)
So basically my question is how long does scuba stuff last? Mainly wings and regulators? I know it dependa on the usage and maintenance, but wing probably have some time when the bladder starts to break or the rubber seals on valves etc.

Both setups have apeks ds4 first stages. The differences are that the cheaper (older) one has apeks xtx50 and xtx40 2nd stages, and agir twinset doughnut wing. The regs have been serviced 5 years ago

The more expensive one (newer) has mares xr twin wing (U-shaped) and apeks xtx40 2nd stages.

I've read that the agir might be a better wing because it's O-shaped, and also the brand seems to be more appreciated and expensive.

The difference between these setups is about 300€. With that price I can service the older regs, so they would be basically almost as good as new? So I would get maybe more for the same money, just a bit older. Or is 7-8 years old setup starting to get too old?

I would hold off on jumping that far into getting your own tech set up. There are many variables and considerations that your instructor will guide you through. Such as the difference between a donut and horseshoe style wing.
You can get a backplate and single tank wing. Get that set up and start diving with it. Focus on the fundamentals of diving, buoyancy, trim, breathing and propulsion.

I would hold off on jumping that far into getting your own tech set up. There are many variables and considerations that your instructor will guide you through. Such as the difference between a donut and horseshoe style wing.
You can get a backplate and single tank wing. Get that set up and start diving with it. Focus on the fundamentals of diving, buoyancy, trim, breathing and propulsion.
What is the downside of using a twin setup for just fun dives? My idea of getting it is because then I will have more air with me wheb I go diving so I can make longer dives without having to go fill my tank in between. I'm not going to start doing tech diving yet in a long time. Just doing normal fundives with the set and gaining experience, but then that set would be good to have when I start to do the more advanced courses and start getting into tech diving. Also here where I live you can get these sets for almost the same price as you would get a 10l tank with a bcd west so I don't see a point to not buy the better set already, so I don't have to be upgrading it after a while

while horseshoe wings get unfairly maligned imo, there really isn't any reason to get one these days unless if it is offered cheap. agir wings are solid and I wouldn't worry about it being a few years old.

while horseshoe wings get unfairly maligned imo, there really isn't any reason to get one these days unless if it is offered cheap. agir wings are solid and I wouldn't worry about it being a few years old.
I'm just worried if the bladder starts to crumble/break on the wing becausw of the old age. It has been sitting in a storage unused for 3 years or so. Also all the rubber seals etc. The regs seem to be no problem with age? Just service them and they should last long?

For a new diver, I would recommend buying a plate, single-tank wing, and regs for single-tank diving. No matter where you dive in the world, at home or traveling abroad, that gear will always be useful to you. If and when the time comes for doubles, you'll just need to buy an extra 1st stage and a doubles wing. And, perhaps the tanks if they cannot be rented. Avoiding buying the extra 1st stage and tanks/bands/manifold for now, and putting that money toward a good drysuit would be a better use of your money.

It is a common pitfall for new divers to look a little too far forward toward the possibility of tech diving, and buy more stuff than they need. Believe me, I'm one of them :). I have a set of doubles that I haven't touched in a couple years, an AL40 that I thought I'd use as a deco bottle (it's now for emergency oxygen, so not a total waste), and more regs than I know what to do with. And I'm no closer to tech diving than I was when I bought that stuff like 3-4 years ago.

I still might pursue that training someday (the caves in Mexico are particularly tantalizing). But I have definitely not saved myself any money by purchasing with a long view of my needs, and the tech diving in my local area just doesn't seem worth the effort and the cost, so I have not taken steps in that direction. I can't speak to what the local tech diving is like in your area, but you should really look into it before you buy double tanks, which you cannot fly with.

That being said, if I cannot persuade you to buy simpler gear, I can at least directly answer your question: I think the two sets of gear you are looking at are pretty similar. I agree that a donut wing is preferable to a U-shaped ring, but that is not a huge difference. I would not hesitate on a 7-year old wing that has been in storage for 3 years, they last for a long time. It would be a good idea to inflate it all the way, and verify that the valves work and it does not leak. It's always a bit of a gamble on used gear, but I think 7 years is well within the useful range. Regs are more sensitive to mishandling and poor maintenance, but if you have already priced in a service, then it's kind of a moot point.

For those that have absolutely no idea about buying, grab the cheaper set split it and also buy this

As far as servicing your unused for five years regs, these more than likely will not need any service

Twin tanks are heavy with fun diving

Have a magnificent diving life, Valde
and if the price is right buy both sets

Reactions: Zef
Thanks for all the answers. Also thinking about making a sidemount set. There are some good discounts on sidemount bcds now in my country. And basically that is what I'm aiming for in the end. That would also be simplier, as I can just get any tanks and use them, instead if finding always twin tanks. I did the sidemount try-out course and I liked it. And also my diving instructor told me to think about it before making big investments to other gear. Because nowadays many people prefer sidemounting on just rec diving

many people DON'T prefer sidemounting on just rec diving

and did your instructor mention these

... It is a common pitfall for new divers to look a little too far forward toward the possibility of tech diving, and buy more stuff than they need. Believe me, I'm one of them :). I have a set of doubles that I haven't touched in a couple years, an AL40 that I thought I'd use as a deco bottle (it's now for emergency oxygen, so not a total waste), and more regs than I know what to do with. And I'm no closer to tech diving than I was when I bought that stuff like 3-4 years ago.

I still might pursue that training someday (the caves in Mexico are particularly tantalizing). But I have definitely not saved myself any money by purchasing with a long view of my needs, and the tech diving in my local area just doesn't seem worth the effort and the cost, so I have not taken steps in that direction. I can't speak to what the local tech diving is like in your area, but you should really look into it before you buy double tanks, which you cannot fly with.
[HIJACK]
@Brett Hatch,

I was under the impression that a diver can get very deep very quickly on walk-out dives in the Monterey Bay area, to see neat undersea life. Not so?

rx7diver
{/HIJACK]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom