buying my first underwater video camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't buy the claim that acrylic housings fog up more easy AT ALL. I'll believe that you NOTICE it more given the fact that i.e. aluminium isnt very transparent..

Fogging happens if theres both moisture and temprature differentials in play and moisture by itself is SERIOUSLY bad for your camera, so if you have a housing thats foggy you need to find out why and do something about it ASAP. A bag of silica gel inside the housing should be SOP and should keep anything you can expect from the moisture of the air in the housing away.

$300 for camera and Ikelite housing? Seems like a good deal for both. If you still have to buy a housing, that may be difficult as they're discontinued.

I never had my old poly housing fog when I used it. Since it had a big flat front port, I would have noticed. I had two moisture packets in it but it wasn't until several years later that a buddy told me that they only worked if you dried them between use - I never did.

One thing I did was seal the housing in the hotel room directly in the A/C stream whenever possible. The air is drier.

The GoPro is a great little cam but is not meant to be used for an entire film production of even 5 minutes. It does shoot a fisheye image due to its wide sensor but there are plug ins that can adjust that, albeit, with some distortion. The real issue is that the GoPro and its like are simply too small to be hand held very steadily and no one wants to get dizzy watching shaky video. Do not buy a Standard Def camera but you might want to consider even a tape based HDV cam that will produce quality footage and have the weight that allows for stability in the water. I just sold my tape based HDV cam and it produced better footage than many of those AVCHD cams that use a card. Cards are really convenient but you still have to go through the log and transfer process and, card or tape, once it is digitalized the files can be backed up on most any drive. I would also avoid acrylic housings as they tend to fog up real easy from all reports.

nah i dont even consider a small action camera anymore for multiple reasons: 1 its hard to see what your pointing at 2 its indeed very small so there is a shaky image 3 its not enough work i wouldnt feel like im making a video if i cant use controls on the camera

the resolution of the newer JVC Everio HD-320 1080p im told thats not 100% hd because then it should be 1080I. is there a lot of differentce between these?

---------- Post added April 13th, 2013 at 04:02 AM ----------

$300 for camera and Ikelite housing? Seems like a good deal for both. If you still have to buy a housing, that may be difficult as they're discontinued.

I never had my old poly housing fog when I used it. Since it had a big flat front port, I would have noticed. I had two moisture packets in it but it wasn't until several years later that a buddy told me that they only worked if you dried them between use - I never did.

One thing I did was seal the housing in the hotel room directly in the A/C stream whenever possible. The air is drier.

yup the deal is 300 for the housing and the camera (and a red filter, some little things like an uploader,manual etc)

1080P is better than 1080I. You wouldn't see the difference anyway.
The JVC Everio GZ-HD320 features a 1/4.1-inch 3.05 megapixel CMOS image sensor. It offers full HD recording - full 1920 x 1080 resolution - and it maintains native 1920 x 1080 resolution through playback, enabling output of a 1080p 60 fps progressive signal to make the most of high-end HD displays. Using the same Genessa processing technology used in JVC HD televisions, conversion to 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps provides seamless natural video, free of motion judder during fast action activities, jaggy lines on angles and moire.

1080P is better than 1080I. You wouldn't see the difference anyway.

nice ty

well i think i made my desicion i buy the jvc GZ-HD 320.

thanks everyone for advice,tips and tricks helped me a lot

think this topic can be closed and again thanks a lot everyone

Back
Top Bottom