Buying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatoys.com ships with a VCI sticker. I just bought two shot blasted AL80s from them. With the 10% discount and very reasonable shipping no one else on the web, much less retail could touch them.

If your dive shop doesn't like the VCI, that's OK. If they want to take a peek inside to assure they're no folds or voids inside the neck and shoulder area, that's OK too. Now, if they want to charge you to take a glance in a newly manufactured, brand new cylinder with a spanking new hydro and a new VCI sticker, you need to find another shop.

Roak

Just somthing to consider as you shop...

In this part of the country, scuba shops make no money on AL tanks...at least we don't. We sell 'em for $150.00 with valve, boot, vis, and fill, and the profit is serioulsy colse to $0.00. I guess it has to do with the price of aluminum and current shipping costs.

reefraff:
Draining a tank, removing the valve and shipping it cross country means that the tank needs a VIP inspection before filling; the age of the tank does not matter. You may disagree with the protocol but that doesn't change the reality, regardless of what you read on the internet.

Because the online dealers can't follow the protocols by inspecting the tanks upon arrival, their stickers are meaningless and dive shops should not honor them. Some probably do, many won't, so caveat emptor.

I beg to differ with your assessment. Several manufacturers of tanks put VIP stickers on their tanks at the factory and ship them to us. A visual does not mean that it has been pressurized the whole time. A vis pretty much says there is no corrosion in the tank, and the there are no neck cracks. Shipping an tank wit a plug in the valve hole will not cause either of those things to occur.

If someone walks into my shop with a tank - even empty, that has a current vis, especially if it is obvious from the condition of the tank, and the hydro and vis date, that this is a brand new tank - I would fill it without question.

In my opinion stores that don't are simply trying to punish the customer from not buying from them, and that form of customer service is normally a counter productive business approach.

But heh... that's just my opinion.

roakey:
Now, if they want to charge you to take a glance in a newly manufactured, brand new cylinder with a spanking new hydro and a new VCI sticker, you need to find another shop.
If a VIP sticker is going to be meaningful, the inspection has to be done without compromise. The fact that the tank is new or was purchased online or is extra-special because it's yours doesn't change the protocol - the same steps have to be followed. A glance doesn't satisfy the standard.

The urge to cut corners is human, it's also dangerous. Consider: if your local dive shop is willing to look the other way on something as simple as a VIP inspection, don't you have to assume that they're also willing skip the expense and aggravation of replacing a greasy filter on the compressor? Consider also: if your online dive shop is willing to help you scam your local fill station operator by providing an EOI sticker for you to use even though the tank hasn't been properly inspected, what are they willing to scam you for?

I hear lots of grumping about how crummy dive shops are - often from the same folks that don't think twice about expecting their dive shops to let them slide on something as basic (and inexpensive) as a visual inspection. You're the customer: if you insist that your dive shop do a good job for you it's important to lead by example and to be willing to pay for it. If you don't, it won't take the dive shop long to figure out that you're just blowing smoke.

In the end, we agree on this much: if you're unwilling to follow the protocols (or to pay someone else to do the work for you) then you should assume responsibility for the risk you are creating and not ask the poor sot running the fill station to risk his potatoes on your behalf. You can't expect him to be honest with you if you aren't willing to be honest with him.

:D I now return you to the regularly scheduled LDS -v- online debate...

reefraff:
Then you'll have to get a VIP on the tank and have it filled, figure another $25.00 - $30.00 or so

That's a lot for a VIP and fill. My local guy charges $10 for VIP and it includes an air or Nitrox fill.

Reefraff,

I just bought a brand new LP95 online. It was shipped to me with a VIP, the valve installed and a partial fill. I got it for at least $50 less (including shipping) than what they are going for at any of the LDS's in my area.

Swan1172:
Reefraff,

I just bought a brand new LP95 online. It was shipped to me with a VIP, the valve installed and a partial fill. I got it for at least $50 less (including shipping) than what they are going for at any of the LDS's in my area.
Most shippers won't accept pressurized cylinders, however that would resolve the issue with the inspection protocol. Who did you get your tank from?

I bought 10 used tanks (all good) on ebay for 400 bucks, paid 15 per tank for a VIS Plus with fill & was ready to go. Some tanks look new & others have a few scratches but you can't beat the price.

Back
Top Bottom