Buying Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefraff:
Draining a tank, removing the valve and shipping it cross country means that the tank needs a VIP inspection before filling; the age of the tank does not matter. You may disagree with the protocol but that doesn't change the reality, regardless of what you read on the internet.

Because the online dealers can't follow the protocols by inspecting the tanks upon arrival, their stickers are meaningless and dive shops should not honor them. Some probably do, many won't, so caveat emptor.

Interesting, because I got that statement from the LDS that was filling the tank (After I had it shipped in from scubatoys.com and after several other fills he had done. The VIP sticker fell off after nearly a year.

oly5050user:
LDS will still want to vip before filling an new EMPTY tank and will charge accordingly..

Not necessarily true. Mine may want to take a quick look, but will not charge for an unnecessary VIP.

In December I got a few AL80s from Scubatoys. They arrived in 2 days looking perfect, new VIP stickers and all. Took them to my LDS and said " check out my new tanks!" LDS owner said cool....where did you get them? "From Scubatoys...can ya fill em for me?" LDS owner took a peek inside to get his warm and fuzzy and them filled em $5 each no new inspection required.

WesTexDiver:
In December I got a few AL80s from Scubatoys. They arrived in 2 days looking perfect, new VIP stickers and all. Took them to my LDS and said " check out my new tanks!" LDS owner said cool....where did you get them? "From Scubatoys...can ya fill em for me?" LDS owner took a peek inside to get his warm and fuzzy and them filled em $5 each no new inspection required.

And that's the way it should be!

reefraff:
Most shippers won't accept pressurized cylinders, however that would resolve the issue with the inspection protocol. Who did you get your tank from?

I've found a problem with that. It would seem that the shippers tell "us" that we have to drain tha tank and remove the valve before they will ship. But the big companies don't have to. My fire dept recently (last year) changed out to the new carbon fiber, 4500psi bottles. Every bottle was shipped in it's own cardboard box, without any packing, but with a full load of 4500psi in each. Shipper didn't seem to have any problem with that. The manufacturer always ships them full! Hows that for a double standard.

Comrade Stroke-FD

reefraff:
Most shippers won't accept pressurized cylinders, however that would resolve the issue with the inspection protocol. Who did you get your tank from?

123SCUBA.com

matts1w:
Just somthing to consider as you shop...

In this part of the country, scuba shops make no money on AL tanks...at least we don't. We sell 'em for $150.00 with valve, boot, vis, and fill, and the profit is serioulsy colse to $0.00. I guess it has to do with the price of aluminum and current shipping costs.

Then we're actually doing the DS a favor by not buying from them... That way they don't have to spend time ordering, stocking, and inventorying (ntm the initial "Free" vip ReefRaff requires).

I just find it hard to belive that with this sport that people are complaining about having to spend 30 bucks more on a tank from the LDS. When you are spending 1000 to 1500 on a set of gear. These are the people who you can call to fix a problem or give advice to you when you need it. So why not support them. The LDS is there when YOU need them. So go and keep saving a few bucks and buy gear online. There wont be any LDS to help you when you need it.

Oh good lord.... :shakehead

Great first post dude. Same tired old crapola, new person.

Comrade Diver - FD

Interesting about the carbon fibre 4500 PSI tanks being shipped fully pressurized by the big companies, Firediver. Last time I bought home fire extinguishers they came out of the box fully pressurized, too. No kidding, double standards.

Back
Top Bottom