Buying used drysuit without undersuit - suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neilwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just a question to the all knowing forum - I am looking at a drysuit on Gumtree at the moment which looks to be good size for me but I have no undersuit to try on with it (new diver looking to kit myself up for the first time). The price looks pretty good but I will have a 2 hr drive each way so I want to know if it is going to give me sufficient room in the water with an undersuit (that I will have to buy later).

Any suggestions as to how to make sure it will be ok with an undersuit?

depends on the undersuit you are going to wear.... If you are at all. You can always just put 1-2 knit sweaters on and a pair or two of thick fleece type pants if you have them and that will be close enough. Boots would be a pair or two of thick wool socks.

depends on the undersuit you are going to wear.... If you are at all. You can always just put 1-2 knit sweaters on and a pair or two of thick fleece type pants if you have them and that will be close enough. Boots would be a pair or two of thick wool socks.

That is the thing at the moment - I don't know what I will be needing as I have never used a dry suit. I am guessing I will need something for UK diving at 5-15 deg C but what I don't know.

Having only used a wetsuit up until now, I only know that a 7mm(?) Beuchat wetsuit (of unknown age as it was a rental) did me ok for about 45 mins in 10-12 degC water.

Think I will try your suggestion - I guess that only trial and error will find out what I need by way of thermal protection.

many of us use standard polartec winter gear instead of dedicated undersuits. While the 4th Element Arctic's are probably the best on the market, you can get similar results from standard ski layers if you have them, or any other soft, warm, wickable layers.

A fleece windbreaker and sweatpants or sweatpants and a sweatshirt (not a hoodie) will be a good indicator. I would bring a combination of layers and clothes just to test it out.

Like all clothing sizes, there is a range. If you happen to fall on the low end of the range for a particular size (say you have a 38 inch chest when a medium drysuit chest size is 38-40 inches), I think you will be fine. If you are on the high end of the range then undergarments will become more of an issue. Stock drysuits are sized with undergarments taken into consideration, but the degree and exact sizing changes between manufacturers and suits.

Test it out in terms of movement, reach, and feel. Another indicator is how easy it is to get into and out of. A suit might be "too perfect" if all the sizes match, but you have a difficult time getting into and out of it.

I would also do a search on this site to check on things to look at when buying a used drysuit such as the zipper, seals, etc.

Another option would be to borrow a buddies undergarments to test out the suit. I did that with a friend who was looking for his first suit.

A fleece windbreaker and sweatpants or sweatpants and a sweatshirt (not a hoodie) will be a good indicator. I would bring a combination of layers and clothes just to test it out.

Like all clothing sizes, there is a range. If you happen to fall on the low end of the range for a particular size (say you have a 38 inch chest when a medium drysuit chest size is 38-40 inches), I think you will be fine. If you are on the high end of the range then undergarments will become more of an issue. Stock drysuits are sized with undergarments taken into consideration, but the degree and exact sizing changes between manufacturers and suits.

Test it out in terms of movement, reach, and feel. Another indicator is how easy it is to get into and out of. A suit might be "too perfect" if all the sizes match, but you have a difficult time getting into and out of it.

I would also do a search on this site to check on things to look at when buying a used drysuit such as the zipper, seals, etc.

Another option would be to borrow a buddies undergarments to test out the suit. I did that with a friend who was looking for his first suit.

True but unfortunately I don't have any diving buddies my size (6'3 and XXL) to swap with! Lol.

It is an otter suit which seem to get good reviews in the UK so am quite happy (will save £450 from my budget for a new one so allows a bit for repairs). Zip from what I have read would be the only real high cost repair so I will be very aware of its condition - seals etc shouldn't be too drastic if they need changed.

you're right otter suits are very popular in the uk. when buying a second hand suit, check it for leaks. i had a friend buy an o three that had been repaired and assured by the seller "it doesn't leak" took it stoney and on the ladder it started leaking.

just wear thick tracksuit bottoms, with a thick jumper and do all the positions to test it.

i'm sure if it's too large otter will trim it down. you can always take some away but harder to add.

Well bought the suit today. Otter hammerhead with new seals for £270 and boots attached.

Slightly short in the body (no spare room between the suit crotch and me) but I have full mobility in it with decently heavy clothes so I'm happy I will be ok underwater in it. It will certainly do as a first suit.

Only issue is now cutting the seals (as my first suit I have no clue about it) but I guess it is just a case of cut a bit off at a time until I get a good fit.

Well bought the suit today. Otter hammerhead with new seals for £270 and boots attached.

Slightly short in the body (no spare room between the suit crotch and me) but I have full mobility in it with decently heavy clothes so I'm happy I will be ok underwater in it. It will certainly do as a first suit.

Only issue is now cutting the seals (as my first suit I have no clue about it) but I guess it is just a case of cut a bit off at a time until I get a good fit.

Google/Youtube are your friend in that regard. It isn't hard, just need a box cutter and something to stretch/give the seal a solid shape.

You ideally want a single continuous cut all around. Any nicks provide stress points to start tears. With silicon seals this will greatly shorten the life of the seals (they WILL tear), heavy duty latex seals seem much tougher but still not a great idea. I'd assume regular latex falls between, but don't have much experience with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom