Buying used gear.. good idea, bad idea?.. Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Untold and welcome to Scuba Board!
When it comes to buying used gear be very informed and do some research about what it is you are considering.
I have bought used gear and have made out well and or been hammered as well.
Be sure that the service trade off is still cost effective because some LDS will charge more if they do not sell it. A critical point to consider when purchasing regs for sure.

I have gotten some great deals, found some really cool items searching the web.
I have also earned a great deal of discount from my LDS by bringing business his way.
I try to keep as local as I can but if I see a deal and it is worthy I roll with it.
BUYER BEWARE, BE INFORMED SHOPPERS, USE PAY PAL! DO NOT SEND CHECKS!

Just some of my practices but the key is to keep you diving and in the water is where we learn as divers.
Good luck and if you find some gear ask around like you did.
It will not take long to get the low down on it.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

The key to good used gear is research, just like it is with new gear. Figure out a few brands and specific models you're interested in pursuing and you'll find they pop up quite often. As others have said, that price is ridiculous for the gear pictured and I'm sure you've already opted not to buy it.

As a comparison, I bought 3 used tanks got them Viz and Hydro, a used Scubapro MK10/G250 with Oceanic octo (which got serviced), an Oceanic computer and console and several BCs for less than that guy is selling that questionable gear. I breathed off both regs and tested the first BC (a genesis Phantom) before I purchased them.

Every major piece of gear I've bought is used or homemade except wetsuits. I wouldn't buy a used wetsuit if you paid me. Well, I would but then I'd just sell it without ever wearing it. By the way, 10 year old wetsuits work just fine... my 10 year old 4/3 is significantly warmer than my brand new 3 mm hyperstretch, for example.

Thanks everyone.

I'm sorry I haven't had the time to really use this forum for what it should be used for, I have a felling there are a lot of threads asking this same question already! Sorry!

Whats a realistic budget to get setup? reg/oct/gauge/bdc/tank/flippers/mask/wetsuit.. and if anyone has extra time and wants to build me a set up I can look at and compare feel free! :)

Back
Top Bottom