BVI Must Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abrown203

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are some must dives in the British Virgin Islands?

We are chartering a 7 day crewed boat with Moorings this July, so we will be pretty mobile.

Here are the ones on our list for sure.

1. H.M.S. Rhone
2. The Baths (snorkel?)

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

You are already on the right track. Most will tell you the HMS Rhone and to snorkle in the BATHS.

The "cow and calf" is nice also as it has nice coral "valleys" to swim in, but officially I think it's in the USVI, so officially you are supposed to clear US customs to dive it.

A few ideas, all within the channel, heading “up” toward Virgin Gorda. This is kind of a “standard” route that many charters take after clearing customs near Soper’s Hole on the West end of Tortolla.

I assume you have a caribe or equal dingy as it makes getting around a little easier.

You can tie up off the Caves on Norman Island and dingy over to the Indians and Rainbow Canyon. The caves are almost always calm and snorkeling there is a great surface interval. If sea conditions permit, Santa Monica Rock is close. Saw a decent black tip there.

Tie up in Great Harbor off Peter Island and dingy over to Painted walls off Dead Chest, or you can also do the Rhone’s Anchor, which is also close. If you really want some exercise for a S.I. there is a long walk on Peter Island with great views. Follow the road up and out of Peter Island Resort.

The Rhone especially as a night dive. My best night diver ever.

If you harbor off the West side of Cooper Island, you can dingy to the Rhone as well as the Marie L. There are actually 2 other sunken boats with the Marie L in the sand just below the reef. Good dive. Saw a monster of an Eagle Ray there as well as a really good Black Tip.

If the seas permit, Markoe Point off Cooper is also good, but usually an advanced dive. Can be very rough with surge and current.

There is a place to tie up on the North side of Ginger Island with a dive there just called “North Ginger”, I believe, but Alice In Wonderland on the South side of Ginger is a much better dive. Can be rough, however.

Assuming you will anchor off Virgin Gorda, dingy over to Great Dog Island where Coral Gardens is a good dive. Has a sunken airplane body you can swim through.

The Baths are a great S.I. to walk through, but can be a rough snorkel depending on conditions.

And of course don’t forget Foxy’s and Soggy Dollar on Jost Van Dyke. Just don’t plan any dives the next morning, especially after a few “Painkillers”.

Neil

abrown203,
y'all are in for a fantastic holiday.
we have charterd a crewed yacht in the bvi's 3 times.
it's the most perfect vacation.
the crew will treat you like royalty.
the sailing and the diving will take your breath away.
mike and neil have posted some "must do" locations.
while you're up near necker island try to dive " the invisables"
the moorings will surpass your expectations.
upon your safe return, please give us a trip report.
regards,

OK let's see...

Chikuzen if you can get out to it. -- nice large life, nice wreck, nice depth

The Invisibles if the captian can find it (they are invisible :D) lots of turtles, good current that brings in some really great fish.

The Caves are nice, I think we snorkled them, saw lots of octupus there.

Coral Gardens/The Airplane are nice for a shallow relaxing dive. (slow drift down, easy swim back ~ 30ft.)

Shark Point - you may see schools of tarpon, bait fish, and the occasional shark, but you'll have to get there on the perfect day. I've gone five times and was only able to dive twice. (nasty current)

There's some nice stuff around Tortola and Guana, can't recall the names yet.

Try to find Grand Central Station. I've heard from DM's I know down there that's its unreal, but I've never been able to find it. (no markings/buoy)

Unless you're into the 'tourist trap' thing I don't think the Baths is all that great, IMHO. No fish, no coral, lots of pee :wink:. But if you have small kids with you its a great spot to practice snorkling, becuase it's very clear and shallow. It's also a good place to get off the boat and walk around. The boulders on land are far more fun to explore, for me, than the one's sitting in water. THere's also a resturant up top.

Try to find Grand Central Station. I've heard from DM's I know down there that's its unreal, but I've never been able to find it. (no markings/buoy)

I know this is a Zombie thread, but I just wanted to quickly post: the reason they don't put a marker on Grand Central Station is that it is basically a cave dive (well, it has a fissure letting in some light half way down, but I am not sure you could escape through it if you ran into trouble). It runs back in a dog leg about 150 or so feet, and it gets pretty dark at the back.

I am very happy to share GPS coordinates with anyone who really wants to do it (it is actually pretty easy to locate from distinctive landmarks), but definitely not a site for your average tourist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom