BVI Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cherry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Spent December in BVI diving with UBS http://www.scubabvi.com/flash/index.html

Their operation is about 3 years old with Tony and Kate the owners. We were lucky enough to do about 8 days diving with Scott as our DM. For those of you familiar with the BVI Scott used to be the head DM at Baskin in the Sun. ( they stole him away about 6 months before Baskin went under and locals tell me his loss was almost impossible to replace) He is a very knowledgeable DM and a great host. UBS specializes in Rendevous diving ( meeting Sail charters for a day of diving) and limits their boats to 6 people. Prices are reasonable and based on how many in your party as you will have the boat to yourself each day. They let you dive your own profile and based on your experience are quite willing to have you choose the days diving. A full day of two tanks starts at 9:30 with a dive in the morning followed by lunch either ashore or in the boat. A second dive is done in the aft. and you are back on the dock by 3:30. Sites range from Coral Gardens ( great corals and sponges with lots of coral heads to swim through and around) to the Wreck of the Roan ( 1867 steamer in about 85 feet of water) Dont miss the Roan its a great night dive and the Reef just around the corner from it is great. In all we dove about 16 different sites around about 80 ft each time. This is not the wall diving of the Caymans or the drift diving of Cozumel. Currents were not strong and swells not an issue. North side diving is not really possible most days during the winter due to waves but there is more than enough to keep you busy on the south side. UBS has freshwater rinses onboard but is lacking a dip tank for cameras something they tell me they will recitfy

I would not say that BVI is an extreme place to dive but rather a place where families and groups of varing skill levels can have a great time. Ashore there are more than enough watering holes to keep one occupied for many a day and the food was great. I would definetely recommend Brandywine restaraunt in the east end as a must for any visitor. Say hi to Davide the owner and ask about his Grappa. ( Italian moonshine)

We stayed in a house ashore http://mermaidvilla.com/ and loved it. Jan and Brad the owners are great people and in my opinion it is probably the best place to stay in the BVI. Just below is Long bay east a wonderful mile long "local" beach which has very few people on it. Snokeling on the north end of the beach (just below the house a 5 min walk) is good with lots of critters including spotted lobster, Jacks and the Odd tarpon. The turtle grass is a haven for lots of Stingrays and the odd Spotted eagle ray. Trellis bay is home to a couple of great bars and eateries and a great place to go for the Full moon party. I found food to be about the same price or a little cheaper than Hawaii with booze decidely cheaper at about $7.00 a bottle. It is for sure and alcoholics paradise. All in all a great place to visit. Locals are friendly if a bit shy at first. Make a point to begin each conversation with a good morning or How are you and it will make a big difference in how they react.

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions in planning our trip and if anyone wants more info just PM me.

Nice report. Really good advice on greeting people in the BVI or USVI. It makes a huge difference in how you are treated.

Cherry,

Thanks for the memories. It's been awhile since I have been in that neighborhood. With the weather that we are having here, makes me homesick for the warm water and balmy breezes :crying:

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom