C5050z Firmware update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benzonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but there is a firmware update available for the 5050. Apparently an Olympus employee released v82 onto the web.

It is supposed to give a number of improvements including better internal flash, and faster focusing.

There is a link on instructions here
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=7723644

Word of warning, by doing this you may invalidate any warranties for your camera, so its upto you.

This was a hot topic on Digital Diver a few days ago. I'd suggest anyone interested to read the discussion ---->HERE. It was very enlightening and though provoking.

Dee:
This was a hot topic on Digital Diver a few days ago. I'd suggest anyone interested to read the discussion ---->HERE. It was very enlightening and though provoking.

thanks Dee, i read through most of the post in that thread. what is your opinion on this, do you think its worth the upgrade even if you pay shipping to send it to them and let them do it? if you dont feel comfortable talking about it in public could you PM me and let me know?

thanks,
steve

I dont suppose they have a firmware upgrade for the C40XX do they?

The only way I would do it is to send it in and have Oly do it. The price is reasonable and I've never been a fan of scalping programs, I prefer to pay for what I get and know I have the support behind it if needed. That's my opinion. If that wasn't the question...There's just too much I don't know and understand about camera computers to do it on my own. As for needing it? I've only had my camera about 6 months so any updates can't be that much of an improvement. If I wanted the latest and my camera was still under warranty and I could do without it for a couple of months, I might send it in. But more than likely I'll wait for a year or so then seriously look into what the upgrade will change and if I feel I need it. Right now? It ain't broke and I'm not touching it! :D

thank you very much for your opinion darlin. thats exactly what i wanted to know. LOL if its good enough for you then its darn well good enough for me being i dont know anything about it to begin with. :) so far i can turn it on and point and shoot. :)

thanks,
steve

I would agree with Dee, if your not familiar with firmware updates leave it to the people that know how to do it. A simple mistake can leave you with an expensive paper weight. That being said, I did receive this through a support channel from Olympus and did it for a reason that I requested support for my camera. I have also done enough firmware upgrades this doesn't scare me. Olympus doesn't always tell you what they fixed, or why they released new firmware so you never know.

My .02 cents.

travis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom