C5060 mode settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crowthers

Registered
Reaction score
I have tried setting up the four "my mode settings" based on info gleaned from a 5050 user but I cant get the stobe to fire on any of them.
I must be missing something. The last time I tried I was at 40 metres entering a wreck and I didn't have time to start fiddling with the settings (I didn't want any task overloading)
Anyone know what settings to pre programme in for the "my mode"
Failing that I will revert to Manual mode.

crowthers:
I have tried setting up the four "my mode settings" based on info gleaned from a 5050 user but I cant get the stobe to fire on any of them.
I must be missing something. The last time I tried I was at 40 metres entering a wreck and I didn't have time to start fiddling with the settings (I didn't want any task overloading)
Anyone know what settings to pre programme in for the "my mode"
Failing that I will revert to Manual mode.
When you say 'strobe' is it correct to assume you couldn't get an external strobe (Inon, Ikelite etc) to fire?

ReyeR:
When you say 'strobe' is it correct to assume you couldn't get an external strobe (Inon, Ikelite etc) to fire?
Yes, its the FL20 flash and housing, set to TTL auto, it will flash on the manual setting but wouldn't on the my mode 1 set up.
My mode set up has inputed
Camera/flash/slave/1 and Camera/*slow 1

Hi

The setting you need is Camera/flash/external flash only .
The slave setting you have will trigger the internal flash only.

Safe Diving

Andrew

crowthers:
Yes, its the FL20 flash and housing, set to TTL auto, it will flash on the manual setting but wouldn't on the my mode 1 set up.
My mode set up has inputed
Camera/flash/slave/1 and Camera/*slow 1
The My Mode settings you referred to was probably set for triggering an external strobe optically with SLAVE flash (like the Inon D-180 and Ikelite DS-50/DS-125). The FL-20 is a true Olympus TTL flash/strobe so you can't use that setting.

As Andrew correctly pointed out, with the FL-20 you will need to set the flash menu to External ( OK >> Mode Menu >> Camera >> Flash >> External ). You will also need to modify your My Mode settings: Turn the Flash Mode (by holding down the Flash Mode button located on the left hand side of the camera) to FILL-IN flash :)lightning symbol) for P and A shooting mode and SLOW for S and M modes.
Another point to note is that you TTL flash/strobe won't fire if you have your Drive mode set to Sequential. So make sure you have it set to Single in you My Mode setting.

The members of this board will also be interested in seeing some underwater pictures produced with the C5060 and FL-20.

Thank you for all your input.
I am back in Malta next week and will try out your suggestions for settings
Jonathan Crowther

crowthers:
Thank you for all your input.
I am back in Malta next week and will try out your suggestions for settings
Jonathan Crowther
And we expect to see some pictures..... :wink: . Your feedback on your experience with the housed FL-20 will be valuable to everyone on SB.

Good luck!

Hi again

Some additional info , if you haven't gotten there already .

I also have a FL-20 flash and made a huge stuff up this weekend. I also couldn't get the flash to fire no matter what I did - I even thought of my response to your post earlier . When I got home I read the manual as I should have done .

The FL-20 will only fire when set to TTL Auto when the camera is in "P" mode.

Any other mode , use Auto or Manual setting .

Oh well , better luck this coming weekend .

Safe Diving

Andrew

AndyT:
The FL-20 will only fire when set to TTL Auto when the camera is in "P" mode.

Any other mode , use Auto or Manual setting .
Thanks Andrew. Reading the manual I couldn't understand the difference between 'TTL Auto' and 'Auto' (apart from the fact that TTL Auto will only work in 'P' mode)? I use a Promaster flash (for topside use) and it works fine in TTL in P, A, S or M mode :06: .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom