c8080/c7070 versus c5050

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys!

I flooded my C5050 on my first day of vacation. Thank god for DEPP! Anyway, last I spoke to them the c5050 was not available through their regular outlets. They hinted that I could either find one myself and submit the bill, or I could perhaps just change the camera and get the same pay out. So it got me thinking about the 7070 and 8080, both of which can be had for not much more than a refurbed 5050 and which have Oly housings for around 200. An extra 2-3 MP would be nice, especially since I take all my pics at the highest resolution. Can anyone comment on these two models or perhaps send me to a review site?

Cheers!

I should also add we have an Inon D-180 currently hooked up to our existing c-5050. So ultimately that flash would get used on the new camera instead.

I think the 8080 is being discontinued as well, but I'm not 100% on that. I believe it was getting into the E300 market.

Come to think of it, I think the 5060 is being discontinued for the 7070 which uses the same housing too. Ugh.

the 5060 was discontinued and the 7070 took its place. i was told by oly that the 5060 and 7070 will work in the pt027 but the 7070 will only work in the 027 as the cam is slightly wider. I was thinking of upgrading housings because of the problems with the 020 leaking.

There is a minor problem in the 7070 to consider.
Unlike the 5050/5060/8080 it will not fire the internal strobe in supermacro. This means no flash, internal or external when in supermacro. For me this is unacceptable. I have had a couple of people tell me it will but as yet, no one I know of has actually made it work. There are a couple of threads on this board about it.

herman:
Unlike the 5050/5060/8080 it (the 7070) will not fire the internal strobe in supermacro.
If you know how to get the internal strobe to fire in supermacro on the 5050, I would love for you to share this knowlege. As far as I know, the 5050 can not fire the internal strobe in supermacro, only in regular macro.

diveborg:
If you know how to get the internal strobe to fire in supermacro on the 5050, I would love for you to share this knowlege. As far as I know, the 5050 can not fire the internal strobe in supermacro, only in regular macro.
To get the camera's flash to fire in SuperMacro mode the camera needs to be in:
  • A or M shooting mode
  • Select SMacro focussing mode
  • Set the Flash menu to 'Slave' (OK > Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave)
  • Force the flash on by selecting 'Fill-in' ( :lightning symbol) in A or ':lightning Slow' in M (by pressing the flash button on the left of the camera and turning the jog dial)
The camera's flash should now fire. Be aware that Slave flash is not TTL flash i.e. the camera will not adust the output of the flash automatically. You can manually set the flash output by changing it in the menu (OK > Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave > 1 - 10).

Yea, what ReyeR said.
Not only do I need it to fire my strobe in SM, I find it useful to use both strobes on some supermacro shots to give me light from 2 angles

ReyeR,

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate knowing how to fire the strobe in supermacro mode.

ReyeR:
To get the camera's flash to fire in SuperMacro mode the camera needs to be in:
  • A or M shooting mode
  • Select SMacro focussing mode
  • Set the Flash menu to 'Slave' (OK > Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave)
  • Force the flash on by selecting 'Fill-in' ( :lightning symbol) in A or ':lightning Slow' in M (by pressing the flash button on the left of the camera and turning the jog dial)
The camera's flash should now fire. Be aware that Slave flash is not TTL flash i.e. the camera will not adust the output of the flash automatically. You can manually set the flash output by changing it in the menu (OK > Mode Menu > Camera > Flash > Slave > 1 - 10).

Will this method work for the 7070 as well?

Back
Top Bottom