Cable on the inflator dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OkByMe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shoulder pull dumps. For years now I have been buying stainless steel leader wire to replace the original wire that has rusting out. The reason I did this was to not have to spend 20-25 bucks for the parts I don't need. Since I have more than one, it adds up.

Seems like even the wire/cable meant for fishing salt water does not last must longer. So last year I thought I would try something different on my wing. I happened to have a spool of 50lb. test Spider Wire, it is non matalic, so it can't rust. Making 5 loops through the spring loaded plunger end and pulling it out to 1/2" longer than the old cable length, I made a replacement which I then tied a loop knot at the plunger end and another at the slip pin end along with 2 knots at the 1/3 position. That made it 1/4" shorter, but it keeps tension on the spring without opening the valve.

I just pulled it apart to clean and inspect. Looks like it is going to hold up well. So I'm going to replace the cable on all my gear with that setup. Usually at about that time in service the rust would start forming at both loops at the crimp sleeve when using the cable. For anyone who has that setup, don't be surprised to find it nearly rusted through... So I suggest that if you have not inspected it, do so soon. Cable failure on a dive is not a safety issue, but you will have to go back to lifting the hose.

Still sounds like more work than I want to do. So no shoulder pull dumps on any of my rigs. Plain elbows. And don't really need to raise the hose that much. They are all short and more often I'm using the lower dump valves.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Shoulder pull dumps.
I just pulled it apart to clean and inspect. Looks like it is going to hold up well. So I'm going to replace the cable on all my gear with that setup.

Can you post a pic?

not without pulling it apart... You should have caught me about 6 hrs. ago. I'm going to clean the others this week. Do you have a question I can answer?

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 04:16 PM ----------

Still sounds like more work than I want to do. So no shoulder pull dumps on any of my rigs. Plain elbows. And don't really need to raise the hose that much. They are all short and more often I'm using the lower dump valves.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The 2 biggest changes in your physical state happens from birth to about 10 years and then the next at about 55-60. At about 15 the hormones say "HELLO", and at 50, say "GOODBYE" and start leaving you. Just wait until you have 63 year old shoulders that ache from years of crashing the wall at racquetball and heavy lifting, then you will change your tune..

Last edited:
If you're talking about the wire that runs inside the corrugated hose, try plastic coated leader wire and a couple of crimps (brass).......Try the 90Lb test w/1.3B double sleeve crimps.....They can be found at any good tackle shop.......I've had that inside some of my hoses for years and it's still good whether it's used in fresh or salt.......

It is unbelievable that the manufacturers still use steel cable that is coated with plastic. The crimp penetrates the sleeve and corrosion is concentrated at this location. I have had many failures. You can guy a few heavy crimpa and use weed wacker line and it will last longer than the BC..

If you're talking about the wire that runs inside the corrugated hose, try plastic coated leader wire and a couple of crimps (brass).......Try the 90Lb test w/1.3B double sleeve crimps.....They can be found at any good tackle shop.......I've had that inside some of my hoses for years and it's still good whether it's used in fresh or salt.......

That's what I have been doing, but high grade un-coated stainless and even footed the extra cost for 316 wire and sleeves. The crimp will squeeze the plastic out anyway.

---------- Post added September 4th, 2013 at 07:56 PM ----------

Weed whacker line - brilliant!!! Why didn't I think of that. As for getting rid of the shoulder dump... Why go waving your hands around when you don't have to? Butt dumps only work on the way up if you are going horizontal or feet first. I don't like horizontal because I can't see the overhead.

Thanks for the ideas!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom