Cabo in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlfritz

Registered
Reaction score
We have a timeshare and are considering Cabo in April in conjunction with another stop in Mexico (family visit).

I have read that Cabo is more for large animals, which I have never been diving with before. What can I expect in April?

Are there other locations I should consider rather than Cabo?

Puerto Vallarta, La Paz, Vera Cruz, others? I would prefer to stay in Baja area, but not necessary. Yes, been to Cozumel and Belize - top notch but looking for something different for now and a short stay on the way back home to the states.

We loved La Paz. As I understand it, that is probably the best diving in Baja, but I can't speak from experience since we've only tried La Paz. We went in September, when the baby sea lions are just old enough to interact with. That was awesome. I think most of them are born in April, so they would be too young at that point.

The water will be on the cool side until mid-summer, and I think the viz is lower. But if you are going to that area in Mexico, I would certainly try it. No doubt you will get much more info from others who have done it.

I dived with Sea lions in Cabo too which was briliant but would have to say that the better dive sites are La Paz and Cabo Pulmo. Both are within about 2 hours of Cabo but worth the trip. El Bajo is a brilliant site off La paz with a small chance of seeing Hammerheads.

I like Cabo diving, it doesn't have the visibility, the warm water nor the soft corals of Coz BUT it has lots, and lots of fish. I have dove Puerto Vallarta and it is like Cabo diving but it has much longer boat rides to get to the sites. Cabo diving is right there, 5 min boat rides to the sites. Cabo has lots of eels, puffers, rays and tropical fish, we saw schooling mobilas rays overhead while we were diving. If the sea lions come out to play it is really cool. The water temp in April will likely be high 60s low 70s, I wore a hood, a shortie and a long 3mm in Feb and was about right. There used to be two white tip reef sharks around Neptune's finger and I heard that one of them is back.
have fun

There are lots of good timeshares available in Cabo, my favourite is Playa Grande and Sol Mar. Both resorts are within walking distance of downtown but don't have hawkers on their beach.

I just dove there last week and the dive with the Sea Lions was awesome. But it was a bit cold (I wore my 7 mm suit with a hooded vest and was comfortable).

The water will be cold, 5mm to 7mm needed with a rash guard too, assuming you are not Canadian and live south of the Mason/Dixon line and are use to warm 75 + water.

chs8084 Do you recall the actual temp. Last year we dove in 3 mil shorties around the same time and were fine. Then again we are Canadian.

Brrr. It was 68 to 70 degrees

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom