Cabo Pulmo and Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjsdive

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone any experience with Cabo Pulmo zpecifically and The Sea of Cortez in late July in general? We are planning on making a trip and are wondering about this destination.
Thanks for any suggestions.

sorry, i have no experience with Cortez but have the same basic question for an early august trip. was hoping for recommendations for operator, and cheap places to stay. we probably would have a car for transport.

cheers all,

SSB

I went to CP a couple of years ago in early August on a day trip from CSL. We had some great dives there and I ended up going back a few months later. I think the water temp both times was low to mid 70s.

I've been to La Paz in July and Cabo Pulmo in November. In late July, the water temperature on the surface should be around 80. We experienced some thermoclines that dropped the temperature to the low 70's. Pretty good vis (60 ft) and lots of sea life. The Pilot Whales should be around in late July.

i run a resort in La Paz and the conditions during july are pretty similar in both places, you can expect water temperature of 75-80 F if you travel in late july. the reefs will have a lot of life and good visibility (50 ft average).

That time is the best time to Dive Cabo pulmo ,Cabo San lucas and all of lower baja water temps will be low 80s I have seen Vis 150 ft. also best time to see whale sharks and mantas.We stay in Cabo at our time share and do Day trips to Gordo banks and Cabo Pulmo.
7:00 am pickup and back by 4:00pm its nice to relax on the way back after the Drive and two tank dive.
We Dive with Baja Dive in the Tesoro Resort in Cabo. www.baja-dive.net

My first ten dives ever were in Cabo Pulmo last April, and I have had a problem with being bored in other locations ever since. Yes, water is colder and less viz than the Caribbean, but I swam with a whale shark for a half hour on my third dive ever - and also a school of about 50 bat rays. Saw thousands of fish, a seal, turtles, starfish, nudi's, and too many things to mention. My only complaint is that it spoiled me! If you have the time, I suggest staying out at Cabo Pulmo - they have very clean, very nice little bungalows that you can rent for cheap, and it makes the journey more worth it (www.cabopulmo.com). Be prepared, there is NOTHING else to do - this place is REMOTE (take books, alcohol, and food) - but I could not find a reason to leave and go diving anywhere else during my stay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom