Cabo Pulmo - ok for people with mobility issues and beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
How difficult is access to diving? My sister has a spine problem that makes it impossible for her to walk/carry the heavy scuba equipment herself. She also has to put on the equipment on the boat with assistance. And then when she comes back onto the boat, she has to have someone helping to lift her up onto the boat.

Also, most of us are beginners who can handle some current but not a ton. We'd also like a dive master diving with us (is that possible). Cannot handle down currents though side ones (that aren't strong) are ok.

Is Cabo Pulmo good for us?

Finally, we would have to go at the end of Dec right after Christmas time and we would have about 5 days there. Can we see the large number of rays jump out of the water at that time of year? How's the water temp. and visibility then?

Thanks a lot.

Ah! I thought someone might have responded to this already!

In case the info is still good for next time, yes, i would say it could be pretty good.
I know that David and some of the guys at Cabo Pulmo Divers have worked with buceo sin barreras so they should be somewhat experienced.

Thanks a lot that helps. Already planned another vacation for this trip but good for next.

Heehee, access to diving at CP is a short walk down a dirt road (only kind in CP) to the beach. The dive op typically will have everyone get in the boat (small panga with outboard motor) when it's still on the trailer, and then the trailer is backed into the water to launch the boat. After diving, the divers unload from the boat in shallow water and wade to the beach; the empty boat is then reloaded onto the trailer.

The dive op should be more than happy to handle carrying the gear to the boat and back.

A guide (i.e. a DM) in the water with your group is not only possible, it's required by the rules of the marine park.

Entries from the boat are typically by backward roll. Most divers have their gear on prior to entry, but putting gear on in the water is a possibility and might be better for someone with back problems. At the end of the dive, everyone removes gear in the water and hands the gear up to the crew before climbing back on board.

As for viz and temp: I've only been to CP in the summer. I've heard that viz is better and temp (of course) is cooler in the winter. You'll likely need a decent wetsuit (5mm?) for the winter.

Most importantly, if you are thinking of planning a trip to CP do your homework. It's certainly off the beaten path, and it's definitely not for everyone. Getting there can be a bit of an adventure; to give you an idea, some of the rental car companies at the airport specifically exclude driving to CP in their contracts. Our days there have been a simple schedule of sleep, dive, eat fish tacos & beer... repeat. If you love doing those three things, you'll love CP. If you are looking for more, you might get a little bored.

As for the mobula rays jumping out of the water: we've seen a good number of them in the summer, and I've been told there's a lot more of them in the winter.

Hope this helps!

I forgot to address your concern about currents. We haven't encountered anything but very mild currents there, and no down currents. At least where we've dived in CP there were no dramatic walls (i.e. nothing like Cozumel) and the deepest we got to was around 70 feet. Obviously conditions can change, but in all the homework I did for trip planning to CP I didn't encounter any concern about currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom