Cabo Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryGWood

Reaction score
Just got back from diving in Los Cabos and thought I would give you guys a trip report.

First, the bad news; Hurricane Douglas was just leaving the area when we arrived and Hurricane Elida was just behind it. Needless to say, the ocean was a little rough. Heavy swell and waves breaking around 10-12 feet (except in the most protected areas) were the norm. This pretty much prevented snorkeling and limited our diving to only local dives so we did four dives total - all around Pelican Rock. The swell was to heavy to even go out a little further to Neptune’s Finger and Cabo Pulmo was totally out of the question. We cut our number of dives at four since any more dives at Pelican Rock just seemed, well, redundant. We spoke with some other divers who were doing their 5th and 6th dives in a row at Pelican Rock. Nobody was at fault here - just wasn’t safe to dive anywhere else. These storms also limited visibility to 15- 30 feet depending on depth.

Now for the good news. Amigos Del Mar totally rocked. Even though all four dives were in the same spot, our dive master, Juan, made the most of them. He managed to locate a sea horse that was pretty large, showed us how to catch a puffer fish so you could feel it blow up in your hands and coaxed a octopus into grabbing onto my wife’s hand so she could get a very up close experience with it. It was truly a memorable moment for her. The amount of sea life in the area was everything I had heard it would be. I will be going back in a few years and try to avoid the hurricane season so I can make the most of the area.

When Amigos Del Mar claims the most comfortable dive boats in Cabo San Lucas, they aren’t kidding either. As far as I could tell, they had the only boats with a platform you could sit on while removing equipment to hand it into the boat. Everyone else had to struggle over the side of relatively small boats, many while still wearing their BC’s. We watched as one lady took a real pounding against the side of the boat from the swell and received no help from the boat captain on board. I can’t stress enough that diving in Cabo means diving Amigos Del Mar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom