Cabo vs La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

husco

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am going to be going to Cabo in August. From the reading I have done it sounds like Gordo Banks is a must do while there. I have also read good things on La Paz. This is one of the first trips I have done in many years where the diving was not the reason for choice of destination. I want to get the best diving possible while I am there for a few days. I know La Paz is a long drive. Is the drive worth it? Would I be just has happy taking a boat trip to Gordo? Or are there any other sites that are must do?

If you are going to be in Cabo San Lucas you will be close to many dive choices. It would be a full days drive to La Paz. The Gorda banks inner and outer can be very demanding as they are off shore banks. One of the best dive spots in the Los Cabos area is the Pulmo Reef. Look it up on the net. You can hire a boat or drive. Tons of good dive spots on the way. If this is your first trip to Los Cabos I would reccomend you stay in the San Jose del Cabo area. It's closer to the dive spots. August brings hot and humid weather but the water is very warm and clear! Have fun.
Glide

If you are going to be in Cabo San Lucas you will be close to many dive choices. It would be a full days drive to La Paz. The Gorda banks inner and outer can be very demanding as they are off shore banks. One of the best dive spots in the Los Cabos area is the Pulmo Reef. Look it up on the net. You can hire a boat or drive. Tons of good dive spots on the way. If this is your first trip to Los Cabos I would reccomend you stay in the San Jose del Cabo area. It's closer to the dive spots. August brings hot and humid weather but the water is very warm and clear! Have fun.
Glide

La Paz is about 2½ hours from Cabo. I've driven it twice. It's not even close to a full day. Just north to Todo Santos, then across the peninsula to La Paz.

Ya, 2.5 hours to La Paz and 2.5 hours back. It's a long trip if you want to go diving that day and your staying in Los Cabos. If you want to dive the La Paz area I would recommend just going to La Paz. If this is your first dive trip to Baja I say go to Los Cabos, stay in the San Jose area and you will have great diving. Also if you rent a car, there are lots of beaches on the East Cape for beach dives and free diving. Amazingly beautiful! Check out Los Frailes and Cabo Pulmo. You'll be glad you did. The only living coral reef in western North America. There is even a Hotel there now and other amenities!
Have a good trip.
Glide

I would recommend that you email Casey from Nautilus Dive Center in Cabo San Lucas....He mainly does rebreather stuff but can arrange some great recreational trips... casey@divenautilus.com :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom