Caffein before diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
At the risk of posting a stupid question, Is there any information covering the effects of caffein consumption prior to diving? such as increased tension causing an increase in air consumption.......

TheDivingPreacher:
At the risk of posting a stupid question, Is there any information covering the effects of caffein consumption prior to diving? such as increased tension causing an increase in air consumption.......

Check www.diversalertnetwork.org I just did a search and about seven or eight articles popped up.

Maria

You could drink caffeine before a dive...as far as increased air consumption...its a possiblity since it is a stimulant. Another aspect to think about is that its a dieretic, (sorry can spell), meaning it causes dehydration which under conditions without drinking caffine, you come up from diving with a degree of dehydration caffine is only going to increase that.

id imagian that it would have to do with how much is in your body, i know before some dives i have had a soda, or coffee depending on the time of day. now i wouldn't take caffine pills, or drink a few shots of Espresso before a dive

I was always told about the diuretic effect of coffee - could increase dehydration which then could increase the risk of DCS...although not really sure that weak 7-11 coffee really has that much caffeen!...during a working day I usually get through 10+ cups of coffee without feeling any stress/tension (although my collegues may disagree)

...The main reason I don't drink coffee before a (boat) dive was that a boat capt/DM mentioned that it could increase the chance of sea-sickness (which I do get !)...things like coffee or even acidic things like orange juice often make people feel more queezy than they would otherwise feel...!

About the diuretic effect of caffeine: I was told by my doctor that tea and chocolate have, to a lesser extent, the same effect.

This, together with the increased kidney activity caused by weightlessness under water, may explain why I'm often in such a hurry to get out of my suit after a dive :flush:

Hi all!
There's always confusion between caffeine and coffee.
The question was about "effects of caffein consumption prior to diving"
Some answers were about coffee.
Now, a lot of soft drinks contain caffeine, as well as tea ....it is very very low in chocolate.
As far as coffee is regarded, it depends on the brewing method (drip, espresso, moka, turkish ...)., it depends on the coffee itself (coffee can be broadly diveded into coffea arabica and robusta: robusta contains twice the amount of coffee compared to arabica).
Caffeine is a mild diuretic, but I doubt it can lead to dehydratation. It increases alertness, and this could be interesting.
The fact you are stimultated to urinate (which is good when you dive in cold waters with a wet suit ...) is due to the action of temperature and pressure on our metabolism.
More to come, but it's Friday afternoon and WEEKEND is coming :)

ciao
robcap
a.k.a. Señor Granzo
a.k.a. Sku-ba-Man

stu_in_fl:
I was always told about the diuretic effect of coffee - could increase dehydration which then could increase the risk of DCS...although not really sure that weak 7-11 coffee really has that much caffeen!...during a working day I usually get through 10+ cups of coffee without feeling any stress/tension (although my collegues may disagree)

...The main reason I don't drink coffee before a (boat) dive was that a boat capt/DM mentioned that it could increase the chance of sea-sickness (which I do get !)...things like coffee or even acidic things like orange juice often make people feel more queezy than they would otherwise feel...!

Well, that is one area where i do not have any choice, if I go on a boat, I take dramamine or I don't go. :11:

i read in the readers digest today that the effects of coffee being a dieretic were exagerated. you do need to pee more, but somehow the salt balance (something like that) is lol balanced and it doesn't make much of a difference at the end. so it's a dieretic, but it does something to the salt in your body that makes it neutral again.
it was in german and it was a quick read in my doctors waiting room.

TheDivingPreacher:

The caffiene is a di-uretic, causing decreased hydration and increased DCI risk (DeCompression Injury).

Good hydration is your main defense against DCI.

Try drinking water, or herb tea, or Gatoraide in the morning of a dive day, rather than coffee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom