Cairns in Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daodiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I and my gf plan to visit OZ this Dec. Just wonder how the dive condition is in Cairns on Dec. BTW, we are newly certified OW divers, is it OK to dive GBR?
Cheers,
Daodiver

Cairns in December Will be very HOT.
It is the beginning of the hurricane season so be ready for monsoon rains in the afternoons, but you might get lucky.

The vis is often down as the hotter weather causes algae blooms on the reef. But on the bright side you will not be needing wetsuits and you will get a tan.

We were in North Queensland a few years ago in Dec and it was nothing but rain, morning, afternoon and night. There were brief periods of cloud, a little sun but mostly hot steamy heavy rain. They called it "showers," we thought it was hurricane force winds and rain. It's the early part of the wet season and really hit or miss on the weather from what we were told later. It's also jelly fish season and you can only swim off the beaches in the netted areas. The diving was ok, but not the greatest. Because of weather conditions they were limited in where they could go. We dove out of Pt Douglas.

daodiver, I've with you. My wife and I are going to OZ leaving christmas eve, diving the reef starting Jan 02.

I know some aussies here, and basically they say it will rain most likely, but generally it's not constant rain so I'm not too worried about it.

As Chris pointed out, that time of year is cyclone season - think hurricanes. Saw a statistic on an Australian website saying 40% of the cyclones to hit Cairns during the 6 month cyclone season have hit in January. Might be worth some further research (ie actual weather pattern history) than relying on word of mouth.

But by all means come visit the country!

We visited Cairns in January a few years ago and had no problem. As others said, it was very hot and humid, and we did barely dodge a cyclone (which stayed north). The rain is more likely to be spotty, occasional downpours than constant showers.

Being newly certified divers will be no problem. There are of plenty of relatively shallow dives that are wonderful. As elsewhere, some of the best diving is in very shallow water - as little as 10 feet. The colors are better, and the bottom time can't be beat!

I did a 4 day trip aboard Taka II that went to Cod Hole, and several other sites before heading to the Coral Sea. My non-diving wife and son went on a day trip snorkeling on the reef and called it a "religious experience".

Australia is fabulous - beautiful, uncrowded, friendly, exotic yet familiar. We can't wait to get back!

I was in Cairns December 1999. We had amazing weather. Not a rainy day for the week that I was there. I wouldn't discount anyone else's advice though.

When will you be there? I'm also a new diver (and new to the board) and am headed to Oz Dec 3rd. Will be doing other travel but will be in Cairns and a lot of the coast to do dives. Maybe I'll see you there:confused:

As most have pointed out, tis the season for lots of rain. But we have been in N. Queensland twice over the past 5 years during late Dec/Jan and had nothing but great weather. An occassionaly shower but nothing major and it never interrupted our diving.

Hope you have the same luck as we had!

david

Back
Top Bottom