California Commercial Dive Boat Discharge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The three mile limit for waste discharge is national except for some areas that have special legislation. I know that one of these areas is the Chesapeake Bay. The legislation also provided funding for pump out stations.

Practical Sailor magazine did a survey of the area and found that most of the pump out stations were either locked or broken. The part I found interesting was a comparison that concluded that the annual recreational waste output in the bay was equal the annual waste output of three blue whales.

Dumping it at the dive site is, well, ugh!!!

However, considering the size of the waste compared to, say, a single whale (of which there used to be MANY more), it's hardly something to get too upset about. There's whole components of the ecosystem designed to deal with that stuff, and unless it's a concentrated dumping it's not going to overwhelm the ability of the various microbes and scavengers to deal with the material.

We are all well aware that whales, sea lions and the multitude of fish relieve themselves in the Ocean. The difference is that we have a choice. It was only a day excursion, and one of the dives was in a marine protected area. Even diluted, the discharge was directly under the entry gate to the water. Absolutely nasty.

I think I will send a note to the dive operator and ask for them to reconsider how they handle waste while divers are in the water or while the boat is moored especially in an MLPA. Also maybe they have a more sophisticated MSD than what it appears to be. Still seems like a very odd thing to do once anchored.

We put way more harmful pollutants than human waste into our coastal waters every time it rains.

Think about that next time you use fertilizer or pesticides on your yard, spill a bit of gasoline or oil in your driveway, or neglect to clean up after your pet. Everything that goes into a catch basin ultimately ends up in your dive site ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Glad this got posted actually...

Okay, 3 miles out, it is good to go as far as Uncle Sam is concerned. I captain a dive boat in Florida. Our toilet flushes directly to the ocean. We don't have a grey water tank.

With that said, I think I will add to the briefing that #2 Can only be done while enroute to the dock or dive site provided we are 3 miles out. So as not to cover divers boarding or departing.

3 mile rule is pretty standard. Inspected boats will have posted, in the pilot house, the area that the boat is able to operate in. Most will say something about up to 3 miles off shore, this is to be able to dump black water. This is 3 miles from shore, including islands.

We are all well aware that whales, sea lions and the multitude of fish relieve themselves in the Ocean. The difference is that we have a choice. It was only a day excursion, and one of the dives was in a marine protected area. Even diluted, the discharge was directly under the entry gate to the water. Absolutely nasty.

I think I will send a note to the dive operator and ask for them to reconsider how they handle waste while divers are in the water or while the boat is moored especially in an MLPA. Also maybe they have a more sophisticated MSD than what it appears to be. Still seems like a very odd thing to do once anchored.

Okay, the real issues here are:
1- You seem to think the boat should bottle up poo.... did you use the head? Did you bag your poo ?

2- Maybe they could install a macerator. This is akin to a garbage disposal and it "grinds" the sewage.

3- Waste regulations are specific to the size of the boat, location of the boat, and in some cases local regulations. As a general rule, a small boat (less than 6 paying passengers) outside of 3 miles from shore (not the island) can do what it wants with regards to poo. Now, California may have some specific regulations with regards to it's marine sanctuaries. It will be a "no-discharge" zone if you want to research it.
Fast visit to Google suggests it may have been.... It will come down to which island you were at.

Current No-Discharge Areas via EPA site: http://www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/vessel_sewage/vsdnozone.html

4- Different boats are equipped with different types of devices..... Very quickly they are called MSD Or Marine Sanitation Device and fall into "classes".

A type 1 device treats the sewage in a manner that renders it sterile. This would be something like a ElectroSan. ElectroSan generates chlorine from the salt in the water using a small amount of electricity (relatively speaking). It grinds up the toilet paper and sewage.

A type 2 device (if I recall right, because these are rare as heck) uses chemicals to sterilize the sewage.

Most boats are equipped with a regular "head" (finicky marine toilet) that is connected via a Y valve to a holding tank and a overboard discharge valve. The Y valve can be locked to prevent discharge. Tanks are finite in size and the average "use" is about 1 gallon.

Other Marine trivia.... Marine toilets are extraordinarily finicky and small. If you couldn't swallow it, don't flush it. The working "limit" is about 4 pieces of toilet paper (aka 4 squares) plus your "deposit" per single flush. Anything more runs the risk of clogging the head. The passages are at most 1.5 inches in diameter and have flapper valves that are sometimes smaller. It's easy to jam them and unpleasant to take them apart for repair.

As for the contents of sewage... the real issue is that the bacteria can be a tad nasty in human sewage. Beyond that, the contents are a non issue. Bacteria and organisms in the ocean will enjoy the meal. In some areas of the Carribean fish will eat the poo.

Maceration is the recommended minimum as it grinds up the tp and poo.

Practically speaking, it's nearly impossible to enforce this. This is sorta like a diver who touches coral or harasses fish. The difference is that there are marine police and if they catch you it is a big fine. However, they have alot more important things to do then check for stray toilet paper from your boat.

Back
Top Bottom