Call me nosy...but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cathycalg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
... I would like to know what you wear when driving to and from the shore dive sites. My first trip to Bonaire is coming up in January and I've been reading up on the importance of not leaving anything in the truck. But that leaves the question of ... do you just wear your bathing suit, do you get half into your wetsuit...:confused:..what to do, what to do???

Thanks in advance for your help,
Cathy

t-shirt and micro-fiber board shorts. It's also my dive outfit - I'm also very cold tolerant. My buddy wears a 3 mil full-suit, kept it loose on the back seat. Actually that's what we did with all our gear. I personally wouldn't want to be driving around in a wetsuit, it could still be in the mid-80's onshore. Some idea: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/abc-islands/218025-bonaire-water-temperature.html

Tanks can be left in the back, no one takes them since they can't get fills anywhere but where they're from. Carry all your cards/cash/etc. in a Witz case or Otter Box clipped/tied to your BC. I've used one of these for years with no leaks: witz cases - Search Results for witz cases - www.leisurepro.com
or
otter boxes - Search Results for otter boxes - www.leisurepro.com

I dive dry - even in Bonaire - so my clothes go with me on the dive.

:d

What do you wear under the drysuit in a place like Bonaire? Also, do you get hot while on the surface gearing up?

I dive dry - even in Bonaire - so my clothes go with me on the dive.

:d

The rule is not don't leave anything but rather don't leave anything of value that you are worried about and don't lock the vehicle. I usually leave an old tshirt and old shoes and a resort towel out in the open, often times in the truck bed. In around 30 trips nothing has been taken. When we return from the dive, we remove our wetsuits first thing, dry off with the towel and continue to stow the gear. By the time we are done we are mostly dry so the tshirt goes back on and we sit on the towels

I wear a tankini top with swim shorts(Lands End has a good selection of them)driving and diving. The swim shorts are made of a polyester and lycra material which dries incredibly fast. I leave my Teva flip flops back at hotel and wear some cheapo ones that I leave in the truck. If we need to stop off somewhere I feel adequately covered up. The disadvantage with the swim shorts is that they can bunch up under the wet suit. Not a big deal.

I could never figure out why guys have such a broad selection of swim shorts to choose from but the pickings are sparse for us women.....

I wear a bathing suit, a T shirt that would not kill me to lose and a pair of $2 flip flops. My wife does the same. Plus, if there is a likelihood we will stop some place in town, she wears a pair of nondescript shorts. When necessary, everything is scattered around the truck during the dive so a simple grab of, for example, a pair of flip flops will not work. The perp would have to search around the truck for the matching items.

Take clothes you don't mind losing, cheap shorts from Wal-Mart etc.

For valuables and eyeglasses, we used an Otter box which fits in a BCD pocket.

The Otterbox did flood once and leaked a bit most times but a rubberband around the box helped a lot.

This worked for me and my buddy in Curacao.

Back
Top Bottom