Called dive in low Viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmj4477

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello to all I've lurked around here for a while but this is my first substantive post.

So I went out for a wreck dive today in North Carolina which is now my worst dive ever (I have 41 dives). The dive shop I was with underestimated the amount of time to get to the site resulting in almost the entire boat getting sick. Once we get to the destination people buddy up or go with a paid guide which I was going to do.

After stifling vomiting and then getting in the water I went to descend with my guide and the group. However, being a blue water diver (which I had told them prior) I was not prepared for the low viz green water. After moving along the hanging line and then the anchor line my group was gone and I couldn't see them. The viz was so bad I couldn't even see the wreck although I was on top of it.

I did a 360 and finally saw a wisp of a fin and some bubbles and I thought about following what might have been my group. Then I thought nah it's not worth it and I went back up to the boat. Come to find out one group lost two people and another person ran out of air (which I know a person should be monitoring).

I guess my question is should I have stuck it out or went with my intuition and called the dive? Mind you the ride made me so ill I didn't do the second dive nor did I trust the guides to keep track of me

Was I overreacting?

The choice to call a dive is yours, for whatever reason. Don't ever feel like you're overreacting.

I'm used to lower viz, but if you can't see the wreck even if you were on top of it, yeah, call the dive. Plus you had been barfing. Yuck.

The choice to call a dive is yours, for whatever reason. Don't ever feel like you're overreacting.

I'm used to lower viz, but if you can't see the wreck even if you were on top of it, yeah, call the dive. Plus you had been barfing. Yuck.

Thanks I was really feeling like a wimp and I did not feel like they had a good tracking for divers.

An expensive lesson learned

I think that sounds like a good call.

Everybody can and should call a dive if not feeling it.

Personally I would be a bit irritated that the guide did had control of you and make sure you were alright.

Since your asking, I would have done exactly what you did. I would have sucked it up to try to dive, because getting to good dive sites rarely is as easy as riding on sofa pillows, I'd have gone despite illness. And once down, the combo of low viz and vanishing buddies would have me going back up the line. Then I would have talked to dive leader about how I might do better next time, like it was my problem, not theirs. Because it always is.
Two things I have learned:
1) sometimes people disappear faster in low viz due to the current dragging them out of site, in ANY direction, not just the direction they wanted to go. Do you have compass set the way the dive leader did?
2) Non-fat breakfast and Bonine, not Dramamine seems to work better against seasickness.

Since your asking, I would have done exactly what you did. I would have sucked it up to try to dive, because getting to good dive sites rarely is as easy as riding on sofa pillows, I'd have gone despite illness. And once down, the combo of low viz and vanishing buddies would have me going back up the line. Then I would have talked to dive leader about how I might do better next time, like it was my problem, not theirs. Because it always is.
Two things I have learned:
1) sometimes people disappear faster in low viz due to the current dragging them out of site, in ANY direction, not just the direction they wanted to go. Do you have compass set the way the dive leader did?
2) Non-fat breakfast and Bonine, not Dramamine seems to work better against seasickness.
1. No I did not we were told viz was good and I regretfully did not as (won't make that mistake again). I thought about the current but it wasn't too bad. I think what got me was when that guide came back he didn't realize I was gone or that was supposed to be with the group. When everyone came back onboard the guides were were like okay let's be more organized this time.

2. I will definitely follow that advice, being former navy I've only been seasick once and was after 13 hours in choppy water on a small boat, so I didn't think I needed anything.

LESSON LEARNED!!!

Last edited:
I think that sounds like a good call.

Everybody can and should call a dive if not feeling it.

Personally I would be a bit irritated that the guide did had control of you and make sure you were alright.
That's what I thought and he didn't realize I was gone or was with the group

1. No I did not we were told biz was good and I regretfully did not as (won't make that mistake again). I thought about the current but it wasn't too bad. I think what got me was when that guide came back he didn't realize I was gone or that was supposed to be with the group. When everyone came back onboard the guides were were like okay let's be more organized this time.
!!!
I know it seems like the guides should keep track of everyone, but If you can't see them, they can't see you, and they can't risk losing the four divers they can see, to hunt for the one they can't. They do trust you to abort dive when your alone. That PADI course Undewater Navigator is next on my list after Drysuit class. I am so lame with the compass!

You did well!

One of the most important skills a student must and should know is knowing and having to courage on when to call a dive. Diving is supposed to be fun, if it isn't, it isn't worth it especially when safety is involved.

Last edited:
You certainly did the right thing. It is your responsibility to make the decisions regarding your safety. Too many divers are reluctant to call a dive.

You mentioned "Once we get to the destination people buddy up or go with a paid guide which I was going to do" would you mind clarifying if you had made prior arrangements to have the guide assigned to you as a buddy or was he just the dive guide for the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom