Calling All Mac Users!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own an Imac G3 with osX 10.2 and os 9 and I refused to buy the software when I bought my new dive computer for the same reason .I dive with a dive rite Nitek computer and was told the same at the divers fair where I bought it. The only way to solve this is to not buy any of the software mac users. They will never give up the codes and until they see enough mac users refusing to buy the software this will not change. Its hard to even find deco software for use on a mac that isnt too simple. Its a nice dream though.

ItsBruce:
I've got a lovely dive log that runs under Filemaker. It runs on OSX just fine. If anyone wants a copy, just explain how to upload it and I will. Or PM me with a real e-mail address and I'll e-mail it. BTW: It computes SAC.
Hey Bruce... Thanks! Now do you have to already have FileMaker or is it a stand alone. I think you has to have FMP Developer to make the standalone apps, but not sure!?!

I can put that into my public folder on my .Mac account if you like and include a link in the links post I started?

This sounds a bit positive from Suunto. Just recieved an email responding to whom my email was forwarded to in Finland, for Beta Testing a mac version (IF ever developed).

Dear Alfeo,

I passed your mail on to the Diving Product Manager for consideration. At present Dive Manager is only available as a PC version, however, it is possible to run using a Windows emulator on a Mac. There is also a software developer kit being developed that can be distributed to reputable companies/individuals at Suunto’s discretion that will allow the data to be captured from our dive computers and allow separate programs to be developed for other purposes eg Macs, PDA’s etc.

I will pass on Mr Rosenstein’s details for possible contact although in the UK we do not get involved with this side of things so I can’t promise anything.

Thanks for the info.
Regards

Matt Sydenham
Suunto Diving UK
Unit H Farringdon Business Park
Lower Farringdon
ALTON
Hampshire
GU34 3DZ
01420 587272

The question to Suunto still remains... HOW LONG?!?

CineDiver:
At present Dive Manager is only available as a PC version, however, it is possible to run using a Windows emulator on a Mac.
As if that is a desirable choice, NOT. If we had wanted to run windoze, we wouldn't have bought a Mac
CineDiver:
This sounds a bit positive from Suunto....... There is also a software developer kit being developed that can be distributed to reputable companies/individuals at Suunto’s discretion that will allow the data to be captured from our dive computers and allow separate programs to be developed for other purposes eg Macs, PDA’s etc.
This does indeed sound like a little bit of progress from Suunto. If a third party did develop at least halfway decent software to get the dive data from a Suunto computer to a Mac, I would give serious consideration to replacing my Aeris AI with a Suunto. As it stands now, I'd really like to have the Sensus Pro from www.reefnet.ca They do support Macs as well as Palm, which might be nice if you had a palm with you on a trip/boat and wanted to see the dive data right away. Maybe for my birthday someone will buy me one. :present:

At home we have:
G4 "Sawtooth" with a 1Ghz. upgrade processor card
G4 iBook and I wish I had a second one, the wife hogs this one.
2 old 1400 Powerbooks

I have a TiPB400, FP iMac G4 800, iMac SE 400, PowerMac G3 233, Mac II. Time to add to my collection though :)
I currently use DiveLog with my Suunto Mosquito.

diveborg:
If a third party did develop at least halfway decent software to get the dive data from a Suunto computer to a Mac,

Now DiveLog does connect and can download to a Mac from all Suunto's BUT the D9. Other programs I'm not sure about. Now if it's halfway decent is at your own discretion :D IMOHO I seem to think so.

ItsBruce:
I've got many Macs....I bought something called a Sensus Pro from Reef Net. It tracks the drive profile and downloads it to the Mac. I'm very happy with it.

Same here - - very satisfied with the Sensus, since it had a significantly larger memory than what my Suunto dive computer offered (something like 100 hours vs 30), plus it was actually cheaper too.

Since this is AFAIC a better product, I don't particularly care that Suunto's not interested in supporting the Mac.

BTW, Les Wilk has just announced a 'supercede' to the Sensus Pro -- the Sensus Ultra. His webpage is claiming 2000 hours @ 10sec sampling intervals (yes, also faster than the Suunto's), and I've asked him offline if this is a typographical error...I suspect that it might be "merely" (!) 200 hours @ 10sec.

http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/

EDIT: Update - its not a typo!

I've just had an offline chat with Kris Wilk - - turns out that what I thought was a typographical error isn't an error afterall. Wow.

Their specifications still aren't 100.00% final, but the memory runtime is expected to be close to TWO THOUSAND (2,000) hours at 10sec interval, which would also be able to be 200 hours @ 1sec sampling.

-hh

I currently own 3 Macs running OSX. I dive with Suunto Vyper. I'd really like to see native Mac version of Suunto Dive Manager ASAP... Yes it works with VPC but version 7 was such a crap. It was sooo sloooww that I returned to VPC6 (as did my friend who also bought an old PC laptop as his "dive computer":11: ). I still don't use my VPC with Suunto Dive Manager. I'm very glad to see someone is taking care of us Mac users. Thanks CineDiver!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom