Calling those who have lost significant amount of weight - wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone else lost this amount of weight and found that you get colder on dives than you did before? I am afraid to go just rash guard and then end up getting cold.
Yes. I went from about 240 to 160. I get cold a lot easier everywhere, not just diving. My house says it's 71 and I'm sitting here in a heavy sweatsuit and feeling comfortable. Last trip I was wearing a 5mm suit and got very cold diving when nobody else on the boat seemed to have this problem. Luckily my instabudy would run low on air about the same time I decided I was too damn cold, so it worked out. I finally bought a drysuit a few weeks ago, class next week.

The key for me was giving up carbs.

The short answer is yes, you will get colder easier. I went from 350 to 180 and the best thing for me was to always wear a hooded vest. I wear a number of combinations including the hooded vest with a skin suit or parts of a 3mm farmer john. What works best for me is to have farmer johns in various thicknesses to allow the most flexibility. Of course, that doesn't work if you don't take them with you. A while back I did Aruba (in March) and was not comfortable in just a skin and vest. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring anything else. Won't make that mistake again.

I dropped from 255 to 170. Went from wearing a shortie to a 5mil and I still get cold. Less stayed about the same since the added wet suit thickness. Also after a few days diving I'll get cold and take a while to warn back up after the dives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom