Calypso Reg Rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeftank

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently aquired my first set of equipment and was looking for information about it. The first set has a Calypso IV 1st stage and 2 Calypso IV 2nd stages. The other is an unidentified 1st stage with the 2nd stages being an unidentified reg and a Conshelf XII reg. Given that I bought these used I would like to open them up and rebuild them or at least make sure everything is clean and working condition. Because these are older regs I have had issues locating manuels. It seems fairly straight forward but I don't want to open it up to have a big mess explode out and be unable for me to put back together. If anyone knows of the manual for any of these regs or any similiar ones that I could use it would be wonderful.

Thanks!

Shoot a photo of them to make sure I have the correct manuals but odds are I have/know were to get them. There are at least 4 or 5 versions of Calypsos.

I can't find the camera to take a picture of mine, but it looks exactly like this Calypso IV secondary
sa2417413119-or.jpg

I will take pictures of everything when I find the camera

The secondarys are all the same design with slight changes, the repair instructions for all of them are the same. The first stages on the other hand are quite differnent with 3 totally differnet designs (and at least 3 different variations to one of them) so if you want info on the first stages we will need to know which one. The model of the second stage is not much help as they were often mixed and matched.

Calypso IV 1st Stage

Unknown 1st Stage (May be another Calypso?)

Calypso IV 2nd Stage

Conshelf XII

Unknown 2nd Stage

The 2nd stages are all basically the same, but I couldn't seem to find the manual for these. The first stage manual wiould be very helpful, thank you very much!

Edit: If these don't work they can all be seen at P1040267 | Zooomr Photo Sharing

9788194_c83256271e.jpg

when I get to my computer tonight I will fix you up.

Your unknown first stage is a sherwood blizzard.

9788200_6186d61e23.jpg

Ok I now have PDFs of the Calypso I think you have....well I have the manuals for the Calypso J 1084-00 (looks like you have the 1083-00) but they are the same except the 84 has the built in J reserve, the 1083 has that side plugged off. Just ignore all the parts on the opposite end of the reg from the LP ports.
Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you one.

Thank you for the manuals, herman. Is there a specific rule for sizing o-rings? I'm starting with just one 2nd stage and the only o-ring it contains is part #8200-14. Is my best bet to remove the o-ring and go to a local home improvement store and find the size (slightly smaller than the o-ring I pull out)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

They should be the same size and just as important, the same durometer- a measure of how hard it is. Most are 70 durometer but some are 90. It is important to get the right durometer in the right spots. The higher the durometer the harder the material. The problem with HI store orings is you never are quite sure what you are getting. For that particular oring a 70 is fine. You are better off measuring it (spend $30 on a digital calipers) and then source the orings at an online oring dealer. McMaster Carr is the DIYers friend. You can find oring size charts on the web and the Parker Oring manual (fairly large download but worth the time) has everything you ever wanted to know about orings and more. Worth reading.
While you are in the reg, you will also want to replace the LP seat. Odds are if anything is bad in the stage, that will be it. You can get replacements from various places or you can make your own. The other seconds you have use the same LP seat so you might as well buy several. On this reg they imply the seat and poppet are not seperately replaceable- part 52....BS, the seat will pop out and can be replaced easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom