Cam bands too stiff.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any suggestions on how to get the stiffness out of new cam bands? The one's I have are very difficult to get tight on different tank diameters. I tried soaking them - no joy. Any other ideas?

I have a set of cam straps that were very stiff and slick...it is like the webbing is coated or impregnated. I found them hard to tighten down on a tank because of this. I soaked them in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then worked them by hand, bending, folding, flexing, ect. while watching a movie, in an effort to break them in a bit....it worked enough to make them usable and with use they will break in further. The other option is to scrap them and use a different cam strap that is not as stiff.

-Z

Thanks Zef. I'm thinking about scrapping them and getting some of these: EDGE Quick Fit Cam Strap with Stainless Steel Buckle Wish I could find out how easy it is to adjust them for different diameter tanks. By the time I include shipping they come to $65. I'd like to be fairly sure they will work. I guess I could always return them.

I soaked some stiff webbing in water with fabric softener for a few days. It helped and my rig smelled nice (for a few dives, anyway :)). @Kharon , I know you're an "old hand," but I'll mention this anyway (for others that might have an interest). Prior to a dive, unthread the cam band from the end loop of the buckle; give it a good tug; then while holding tension lift the buckle up halfway, rethread the end loop and use the extra length as a lever to finish closing the buckle. I've never had a standard cam band come loose during a dive if I do this. It can be done very quickly after a few tries. Good luck.

Thanks Zef. I'm thinking about scrapping them and getting some of these: EDGE Quick Fit Cam Strap with Stainless Steel Buckle Wish I could find out how easy it is to adjust them for different diameter tanks. By the time I include shipping they come to $65. I'd like to be fairly sure they will work. I guess I could always return them.

I have a pair of those. Bought them to use as the lower cam strap for my backplate and my daughters. I do not recommend them.

The tail of the strap rests on the "outside" of the loop instead of the inside. This would seem to be good for adjusting for different size tanks except that on my 12L tank the two areas of velcro totally overshoot each other. I added a couple of mt bike inner tube sections to keep the tail in place and that worked well for keeping the straps from slipping once set. I only have one tank so setting and forgetting was not an issue, but on the couple of occasions that I did mount my rig on a tank different than my own, I found it a slow, burdensome hassle to get things right and tight. They are finicky to get the hook to catch on the bail, and even if the velcro didn't overshoot itself I would be concerned that the tail on the outside could come undone on its own during a dive. To be honest, I really didn't care for them at all and would rather deal with the hassle of wiggling my backplate and wing off the tank with 2 normal cam straps than dealing with the hassle of the edge straps. What is amusing about all this is the fact the stiff cam straps I mentioned above were the replacements for the Edge straps.

My recommendation is to stay with a conventional type cam strap. What strap do you currently have/where did you get them? Here is a picture of the ones I bought that arrived really stiff, slick, and could use a couple of inches more in length:

bc_tb-05-2_6.jpg

The best recommendation I can give you is to give DGX or DRIS a call or contact them on the chat feature on their respective websites and explain the issue you have and see what they say about the cam straps they carry.

-Z

BTW....If you research it enough, you will generally find 3 types of people here on SB regarding quick release type cam straps:

1. Those that have never used a quick release cam strap and THINK they will work great.
2. Those that have used a quick release cam strap and really like them.
3. Those that have used a quick release cam strap and find they are more trouble than they are worth and have switched back to a conventional cam strap.

-Z

BTW....If you research it enough, you will generally find 3 types of people here on SB regarding quick release type cam straps:

1. Those that have never used a quick release cam strap and THINK they will work great.
2. Those that have used a quick release cam strap and really like them.
3. Those that have used a quick release cam strap and find they are more trouble than they are worth and have switched back to a conventional cam strap.

-Z
Put me in the 3rd group. I had a set when I first made the transition to a BP/W. I did a LOB in the Bahamas and on more than one dive, as I got back on to the boat one of the straps had popped open. Sometimes it was the top one, sometimes it was the bottom one, but luckily, I never had a dive in which they both popped open. I switched back to regular cam bands as soon as I got home.

Of course, as with all things, YMMV.

I have two cam bands on my rig. The top is standard and the bottom is a "Scubapro type/quick release" style. It's handy in certain situations (like gearing up on a tailgate etc.) as I don't have to lift the rig to clear the bottom band while changing tanks. I just keep the bottom quick release snug as it's really only there to keep the tank from "swinging" and loosening the top "standard" band that does most of the work. I find adjusting the "quick release" band for different size tanks a bit more of a hassle. The one I use requires a bit of trial & error while adjusting a Velcro loop as opposed to just rethreading and tightening a standard cam band. Other "quick release" styles may work differently. All IMHO, YMMV. :)

There is more than one design of quick-release bands. Avoid Highland and EDGE, look at DGX and ScubaPro. You want the adjustable piece to be inside the band, so it is held in place with the band.

Reactions: Zef
Thanks to all for the assistance. Guess I'll pass on the QR straps and stick with the standard ones. My biggest problem is when I have to adjust for a smaller tank diameter. Don't think I'd be happy with a strap that was holding only because of velcro. Glad to save $65 on something that wouldn't work for me.

I found an alternate way to run the strap through the cam that makes it easier but is still rock solid. It's still not especially easy to change size but I'll give the fabric softener a try. Once I soak them I'll toss them in the washer and run them through a few cycles and then some time in the drier tumbling but not heated.

The straps I have are actually way too long. Once I get them right for an 80 cf I'm going to trim them to a proper length. Everything else I dive with is a smaller diameter.

@Kharon , I know you're an "old hand," but ...

ROFLMAO - one thing I know I am not is an old hand. I recently found out how green I still am. A near drowning woke me up to the fact that my diving has been almost entirely in benign conditions. I've had to rethink everything - conditions that I'm able to dive in, gear configuration, what I carry, etc.

One thing I thought the QR straps would allow is a quick way to dump an empty tank in an emergency. Don't expect that to need to do that again but I didn't expect a near death experience either. Still, I don't want to depend on a strap only held by velcro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom