Cam Strap Tension Pads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got the Cam Strap pads. I know they are a simple concept, and they are mounted on the Cam bands. But, is there a certain place on the bands I should place them? Close to the buckle or back towards the backplate? It may be a silly question, but I haven't seen these mounted on a rig yet so I am not sure.

I got the Cam Strap pads. I know they are a simple concept, and they are mounted on the Cam bands. But, is there a certain place on the bands I should place them? Close to the buckle or back towards the backplate? It may be a silly question, but I haven't seen these mounted on a rig yet so I am not sure.

Hi Glen,

The cam strap tension pads can be place pretty much any where on the cambands as long as they will be compressed between the the tank and strap as the can buckle is closed.

You want to avoid placing the pads where they might cover the velcro that secures the tail end of the camband strap.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, just wanted to make sure before I started taking stuff apart.

I do have one more question. First, I bought the Extra Long Steel plate about two months ago, and let me say that it is the best gear decision I have made in a long time. For a tall person this plate is so comfortable.

Now, to the question. I like the grommets on the backplate that protects the harness. But am I missing something? It was VERY, VERY difficult to get the harness weaved through those grommets. I need to take my harness back off to add a D ring, but I don't want to do it because it took me sooo long to get the harness started through the gromments. Is there a trick to getting the harness started through the grommets?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Glen,

The cam strap tension pads can be place pretty much any where on the cambands as long as they will be compressed between the the tank and strap as the can buckle is closed.

You want to avoid placing the pads where they might cover the velcro that secures the tail end of the camband strap.

Tobin

They are so hard to get the harness through to keep the harness in place at all times. I believe other plates require a triglide added there to keep the harness from changing fit on you. This is my understanding.

Sean

Thanks Tobin, just wanted to make sure before I started taking stuff apart.

I do have one more question. First, I bought the Extra Long Steel plate about two months ago, and let me say that it is the best gear decision I have made in a long time. For a tall person this plate is so comfortable.

Now, to the question. I like the grommets on the backplate that protects the harness. But am I missing something? It was VERY, VERY difficult to get the harness weaved through those grommets. I need to take my harness back off to add a D ring, but I don't want to do it because it took me sooo long to get the harness started through the gromments. Is there a trick to getting the harness started through the grommets?

Thanks for the help.

There is a "trick" to getting the webbing through the lower slots. The built in "keepers" in the lower slots are in the center of the slots only.

The end of the slots are "Open" and allow the corner of the webbing to be pushed through the slot. Use the end of the slot opposite of the corner of the webbing.

Start the corner through, and then grab it with pliers and slide it sideways down across the built in keepers.

I should take some pics. It's really much easier once you know the trick.

Tobin

The concept is great, and I like them a lot. It is better then threading the guards over the strap and making sure they stay pinched between the plate...I had to do this with my old Dive Rite plate. Once you get the harness through the grommets they are great. But it was a real chore to get the harness through the first time. Tobins tip will hopefully make things much easier.

They are so hard to get the harness through to keep the harness in place at all times. I believe other plates require a triglide added there to keep the harness from changing fit on you. This is my understanding.

Sean

Okay, that makes sense. I am going to be working on it this afternoon...that should make things much easier.

Thanks again!

There is a "trick" to getting the webbing through the lower slots. The built in "keepers" in the lower slots are in the center of the slots only.

The end of the slots are "Open" and allow the corner of the webbing to be pushed through the slot. Use the end of the slot opposite of the corner of the webbing.

Start the corner through, and then grab it with pliers and slide it sideways down across the built in keepers.

I should take some pics. It's really much easier once you know the trick.

Tobin

Ah, I see. I missed the actual question. Sorry, it was late here when I posted. Tobin's tip is how I did it. It's still a bit tricky, but definitely doable. Good luck!

Sean

Try doing that with one hand and redoing it about 5 times and STILL have it wrong. (Chest d-rings are bent, they should "poke out" instead of laying flat like mine do.)

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom