Camelbak Hydration Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hartattack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,
So after 6 dives in 3 days I am starting to get really tired of the dry mouth situation, no matter how much I hydrate topside I still have issues. In addition, I will be starting a month long training program (PADI: IDC, IE, MSDT Phase II and III) Through Sea Experience starting in June and I wanted to get the gouge on which Camelbak is DIR and if there is a specific way to rig it to the BP/W or stage, also what do you all like to put in said pouch? I was thinking a 50/50 Gatorade/H20 mix or something with a little better potassium and salinity mix such as Advocare Rehydrate. As always, thanks a ton for your wisdom.

-Chris :coffee:

I put a bolt snap on them to clip them off and just water. But some people use a Gatorade mixture. Not sure it matters

I use water usually, sometimes a 50/50 gator aid mix. Can't really taste it in the water, more for a lil calorie injection on longer dives and adds some fun factor. When staring at a rock for hours and hours anything becomes fun.

Regardless, I have two setups. Both are camelbak "unbottle" that has no straps or nonsense. One just has a boltsnap on it and I clip it wherever is convenient and the other has bungee loops on the bottom that slip over a stage/deco bottle and the top carry handle goes around the tank valve. I tuck the tube kind of in a lose coil inside where the bladder is so just the bite valve sticks out.

I think left chest dring is usually fairly slick as it hugs the arm pit and is out of the way. Hip dring is cool too since it floats.

In terms of hydration, there is no single DIR way to go. Just like camera equipment, you will have to decide on the best way to make it work and determine the suitability and safety of the method. You will want to maintain your ability to complete all of the core tasks without added complexity. So, make sure whatever you do does not interfere with gas donation or any other emergency procedures.

I've done a number of things on longer dives to deal with hydration/dry mouth. I've used a standard camelbak strapped to the back of my doubles, I've used the DSS hydration pack that fits between your backplate and your doubles (https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=55), and I've used Capri Sun juice packs (Amazon.com : Capri Sun Fruit Punch Soft Juice Drink, 11.2 Fluid Ounce -- 15 per case. : Soda Soft Drinks : Grocery & Gourmet Food). For the Camelbak styles, I attached a bolt snap just like you would on a primary second stage and clipped it to my right d-ring. So far my favorite is the Capri Sun. They fit very nicely in my pockets, and I suspect that they would fit in most normal BCD pockets as well. Regular old Capri Suns are ok too, but once you've opened one you've committed yourself to either drinking all of it or wasting most of it. Since your problem is dry mouth you are going to want to be drinking a little bit every now and then, not to guzzle it all down at once.

My recommendation for you would be to use one of these (PlusBottle™) with this cap (Platypus HyperFlow Cap) on it, and just put it in a pocket. You can put a bolt snap on it to keep it from falling out of your pocket, and when it's empty it takes up almost no space at all. I would fill it just past half full just to keep it a decent size. The obvious advantage over Capri Suns are that you're not drinking pure sugar all the time and can decide what you want to put in it. Because it will be safely tucked away in a pocket when not in use, it will never interfere with any drills or emergency procedures, and it will be streamlined to boot! As such, you will be Doing It Right.

That's what I also thought Tbone. I ordered one of those for my doubles and the pak AJ is using from EE for my single setup to use during my PADI stuff. Afterwards ill add bungie and use it for a stage mounted version if needed, so its a win win.

3kEN8Xwl.jpg

Camelbak action shot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom