Camera and strobe not synced properly, need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All, need some help getting my camera and strobe synced. I have been having trouble with day shots and did some tests and realize that things are off.

Camera: Sealife DC500 with SL960D strobe, the strobe has the cable/sensor that fits over the internal flash

Test 1
Facing mirror with the strobe set to “0” which is what the Sealife manual says to set its’ strobes to with a sealife camera. When taking pictures in the various modes there is no flash seen in the pictures except in external flash mode. In External flash mode the strobe is seen and the camera appears to be synced. In the rest the strobe is firing before the internal flash. I confirmed this with by taking a video of it.

Test 2
I set the strobe to 1 pre-flash and in the various modes the strobe is seen in the picture and camera and strobe appears to be synced but there is now no strobe fire in the external flash mode.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to how to fix this?

Please and thanks

Last edited:
You should be reviewing the pics in the camera, not a video. The flash has a shorter duration that your shutter being open and the flash still could be illuminating subject and just not firing exactly when the internal is. If there is a pre-flash on the camera, the external should ignore it based on your strobe pre-flash setting.

I think that when the strobe is set to external flash mode, the strobe always fires fully to the set strobe level. It is a "manual strobe level setting". SO when your camera sends the preflash instruction, the strobe fires fully (or at the set strobe level). This will greatly discharge the internal capacitor of the strobe, and thus, does not give the strobe time to recycle to give it's flash at the correct time. Set your camera to non-TTL exposure mode when the strobe is set for external. I do not have the exact same system, so I am not sure this is your problem. Please let me know if this works.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom