Camera Bag selection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just purchased a D90 and Ikelite housing that I am expecting tomorrow. I have a couple of lenses (60mm macro and 10-17 fisheye) and the 8 dome and flat ports. I also have a DS125 flash. I need a travel case. I saw the pelican 1510 case with a place for a MAC in the lid and lots of pockets and roller wheels. I want the case to be a carry on bag. What has any one else used? I believe Inside height is 5.7". Are there other choices?
DP

I just got almost the identical setup (2 51 strobes instead) and I'm also looking for a case to travel with. There is also a carry-on size Storm case Hardigg Storm Case, im2500, watertight, padlockable, airtight, integrated protection system that is similar, but I believe lighter. Many people also recommend various backpacks and other soft cases. I understand that one doesn't need a hard case if you're carrying on, but I think it would be handy if you have to gate check your bag or need to take a puddle jumper.

I haven't gotten anything yet myself.

The only problem with Pelican cases is that they are considered by some airlines to be cargo as opposed to baggage. This means that they can not be carried on. Unless they changed their policy this is how American Airlines treats them for all Caribbean destinations.

Hmm. I think cargo often refers to items sent on a plane when you are not flying, versus checked baggage, versus carry on. The American site doesn't say anything about the construction of a carry on Baggage Allowance just the size and weight. Still, I'm sure almost anything could happen, and it wouldn't be surprising for airlines to change policies or start more aggressively enforcing them within the lifetime of a well made piece of luggage.

I just purchased a D90 and Ikelite housing that I am expecting tomorrow. I have a couple of lenses (60mm macro and 10-17 fisheye) and the 8 dome and flat ports. I also have a DS125 flash. I need a travel case. I saw the pelican 1510 case with a place for a MAC in the lid and lots of pockets and roller wheels. I want the case to be a carry on bag. What has any one else used? I believe Inside height is 5.7". Are there other choices?
DP

one option is to get a Pelican hard case that is smaller and will fit inside a "regular carry on roller bag". That way you can often carry other items in the roller bag with it also and not get caught by the "one bag limit" (plus purse/laptop bag) issue.

I've found that not just one case will do what I want for a camera bag.

I've actually got a couple cases that I switch between depending on what I'm wanting to carry. If I want to carry "everything" i use my big case. Otherwise I just use my smaller "travel case"

Fisheyeview actually has the OC-84, not OC-86, which is carry on legal. A 1510 won't come anywhere close to fitting the Ikelite housing (in fact, I've seen it damage the housings port locks because it isn't deep enough).

The OC-84 is larger dimensionally in every direction with rigid side walls that allow 220lb camera store sales people to jump up and down on the corners without smashing it. Fitting your setup in it will be a squeeze, but no other carry on wheeled bag is as large internally.

Akona's carry on roller was designed with a lot of input from an Ikelite sales rep, and it would be a close second.

If you check a Pelican case airline staffs will often insist that you sign a damage waiver as it is "non-standard" or "cargo" or "industrial" baggage, not luggage. I do play along, as getting money from an airline for damaged goods is extremely difficult (and it is insured elsewhere).

Fisheyeview: Do you check that bag or carry it on?

I carry it on. It fits my housing, flat port, extension rings, focus light, prescription mask, arms & clamps, CPAP, dive computer, bathing suit, t-shirt, and assorted odds & ends.

I carry a camera back pack that counts as my personal item. In it goes two camera bodies, lenses, potable hard drive, battery charger, camera batteries, strobes, memory cards, and card reader.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom