Camera Floods: Avoiding the High Water Mark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you jump in holding the camera or was it handed down to you in the water?
I've flooded a camera by jumping in with it.

--- bill

Did you jump in holding the camera or was it handed down to you in the water?
I've flooded a camera by jumping in with it.

--- bill

Had it handed to me. In fact, it was the DM who noticed the flood before I did. Someone still on deck said she heard a "pop" but I didn't. Just got a letter from Olympus telling me my camera is toast. I thought so. They offered me a SP-550 UZ for $308 though their repair exchange program. I never heard of this camera. I'm so confused about what to do now.:confused:

I just recently purchased the Olympus 770sw. (Great camera!) Alone the camera is waterproof to 33 feet. Soon I'll be getting the housing that can go to 130 feet. I can't wait. For me this is a great starter camera. Although I will take great care with the housing, if it does flood I won't have to worry about the camera becoming a paperweight - it's waterproof.

MaryAnn

Thanks, Jack, no doubt about it, rinse and keep your camera near you is the best policy...

fairybasslet, I flooded my Oly SP350 part way through my May dive trip to Bonaire, so I take extra precautions now each time I dive or snorkel. Even then, I tested it in the BVI before going in the water for a snorkel and it was fine. It was a shallow snorkel and I noticed a slight flood as soon as I put the camera in the ocean. Fortunately, I got the camera out of the water before any damage happened...

lil' castaway, would like to hear about your experiences with the 770sw and housing. It makes sense to have a camera that's waterproof inside a housing. Of course, I don't know what would happen to the camera if the housing floods below 33 ft....

Safe diving, alashas honeymoon2's photos- powered by SmugMug

lil' castaway, would like to hear about your experiences with the 770sw and housing. It makes sense to have a camera that's waterproof inside a housing. Of course, I don't know what would happen to the camera if the housing floods below 33 ft....

I'll let you know when I get the housing. (Hopefully very soon!) I read a review about the camera and one guy forgot he had the camera in his bc pocket and took it down (without the housing) to 100'. It had just a couple beads of water inside the battery compartment but no damage. I bought it at Best Buy and purchased the protection plan - since it's a waterproof camera then flooding is covered. Not the case on other cameras. No additional cost on the plan.

Great Honeymoon pictures!!!

lil' castaway,

I don't usually buy the protection plans, but it makes sense with the 770sw. Glad to hear it did well at 100'

Thanks, will hopefully have a few more photo albums when we return from the BVI in mid-Jan. My Oly SP 350 worked pretty well in Sept., but my strobe didn't. I've just replaced the bulkhead, so we'll see....

Happy new year, alashas honeymoon2's photos- powered by SmugMug

I still have not been able to figure out where I went wrong. I followed all of the advice you gave. I have gotten the same advice from other uw photogs so it seems like a good protocol to follow. Anyway, I took my housing down by itself after flying to Australia. It was fine. I put the camera in, tested it in the rinse tank. fine. I even have some photos from inside the rinse tank. Splashed in the coral sea...flood. First dive of my trip and my camera was toast. :11: Just for the hell of it, I took the housing down again by itself and it was fine.

Sorry to hear that, very frustrating. And that is very strange. Probably something to do with a bad control oring, but that's a total guess. It may have shifted position with the camera installed and leaked...?? I would have them also replace the housing. I have seen that happen, in fact a customer had a similar experience with a strobe housing recently. I believe in his case it's a bad bulkhead, luckily a minor flood that didn't wreck his strobe. But it didn't repeat the leak in the rinse tank.

Just a thought (ok, shameless plug ;-) ). Fantasea housings do come with 1 year of free flood insurance. When a customer has a problem, DEPP replaces their camera and Fantasea fixes or replaces the housing. Doesn't make up for a lost vacation, but it helps. The FP5000 for the CoolPix P5100 is an awesome combo.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom