camera for shooting live sporting events?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I've not taken any diving photography or videography classes yet, but have a question. I'm trying to find a video camera that I can use to shoot our local high school's swim and dive meets, so that it can be shown on a big screen live, during the meet, for spectators. Is there a resonably priced unit, or am I looking at professional-quality stuff?

Thanks,
Eddie

I would look at either the Sony HC1 or the Fx1. They are both HD cameras that also shoot in SD. What is your budget? WIll you also be using it underwater?

Yes, it would be only for underwater, with a live feed to monitors topside. I'm trying to give the swim coach and natatorium director some general figures for their budget requests.

Thanks

If you use it underwater make sure whatever sanctioning body approves your set up, otherwise the meet may NOT be official. They may also whine providing replay to judges, that no other people can see. When I worked for a cable company doing sports we had lots of educating of sanctioning bodies, so that we could televise HS sports.

Another thing, check the humidity in the pool, then check what the specs are for the big screen TV's. They may not be compatible.

You will need to be able to get a piece of coax cable out of the housing, clear of any competitors, out of the water, and to video distribution amplifiers to feed the screens. Be aware that fire marshals do not care about TV unless you are a network. They will make sure buildings are safe, for evacuation, removing cable if needed.

Back
Top Bottom