Camera/housing packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m currently using a Panasonic GS-12 video camera in a generic Aquatix tube housing with a single record/pause button. I’d like to move up to something less bulky and with more control over the camera. My problem is trying to do this without breaking the bank. I realize that I’ll likely be going four digits price-wise, but I’m hoping to go not too far past that.

I’m in the market for something I’m not even sure exists – a video camera/underwater housing package. What I mean is something along the lines of the Sea & Sea camera/housing packages that are sold as a single unit or all the Olympus cameras that are affordable for diving because the company makes their own inexpensive housings. Does anything similar exist for video cameras? I don’t need HD or anything particularly complicated – I’ll shoot with natural light until I can afford a lighting system. But for now, I’d like to get a U/W video setup that won’t kill my wallet. Ikelite housings and the like are excellent, but a little pricey. So does anyone make less expensive options like a package deal of some sort? Am I being realistic or running a fool’s errand? Any suggestions would be welcome.

JVC makes a little plastic housing for their small camcorders. Fits in the palm of your hand. Similiar in build and quality to the Oly housings etc

JVC's housings are depth limited to 98'/30 meters. Sony makes a Marine Pak for it's cameras but it's $1800 list.

The least expensive full featured housings that I'm aware of are the Ikelite or the TopDawg. For Sony models, each is about $800. Add a Sony HC-series MiniDV camcorder for $3-400 more.

If you're not in a hurry watch eBay. I saw an Ocean Images Dolphin Pro sell there a couple months back for $450. Had only a couple dives on it. It would house any Sony camera made with the exception of the VX series.

The best deal currently on new housings I've seen is Adorama's, they have most of the current Ikelite JVC/Sony MiniDV housings for $649. Never bought anything from them but they've been around for a long time.

Depending on what you are looking for I like my Sanyo VPC-C5 (C6 is the latest with nice housing) while it does shoot compressed video, and battery life isn't the best, for playing around with video and being able to take decent sized photos at the same time it works quite nicely.

If you plan to upgrade over time with more expensive parts/bits I do NOT recommend it however (since obviously it and only it fits in the housing).

Reeveseye:
I’m currently using a Panasonic GS-12 video camera in a generic Aquatix tube housing with a single record/pause button. I’d like to move up to something less bulky and with more control over the camera. My problem is trying to do this without breaking the bank. I realize that I’ll likely be going four digits price-wise, but I’m hoping to go not too far past that.

I’m in the market for something I’m not even sure exists – a video camera/underwater housing package. What I mean is something along the lines of the Sea & Sea camera/housing packages that are sold as a single unit or all the Olympus cameras that are affordable for diving because the company makes their own inexpensive housings. Does anything similar exist for video cameras? I don’t need HD or anything particularly complicated – I’ll shoot with natural light until I can afford a lighting system. But for now, I’d like to get a U/W video setup that won’t kill my wallet. Ikelite housings and the like are excellent, but a little pricey. So does anyone make less expensive options like a package deal of some sort? Am I being realistic or running a fool’s errand? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Look on B&H website and in underwater section they have packages from $5500 to under $1200 the one that I consider affordable and I think will give good quality video is the Equinox/Panasonic PV-GS 300 kit the camcorder which is a 3CCD camcorder .
Good luck
If you want to get an idea look at socaldivevideos.com , he uses a panasonic PV-GS400

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom