Camera Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I have my clip now is mounted on the left arm, snug against the housing.

When clipped off, there is no way to have the dome port come in contact with anything else. Also keep in mind that any external scratches on your dome will fill in with water and not be a factor. Not to advise you to beat up on the dome, but if you were to scratch the camera lens in the same way, you'd be tossing it out.

OE2X:
So to those who clip off to your right shoulder D-ring: Do you carry a can light? If so, does it get abused by your clipped off camera?

I shoot with an Aquatica housing for my Nikon F-5 with a large dome port and Ikelite SB 200 on two 18" arms. In otherwords it's pretty bulky.

Generally, the only time I have both clipped off is ascending and then my camera is on the scooter ring.

Alright, I am going to test this new idea I have about mounting it today in the pool. I have attached 2 bolt links to the camera (Sealife reefmaster 310) using cave line. The bolt link is just tied regularly to the camera; the other on a piece of 550 cord that is as long as I can outstretch my arms. I have also placed a piece of bungee cord around the webbing of the harness which goes around the camera to hold it in place. This makes it not fly up and hit me in my face or get involved with the hose setup. I will let you know how this works later on.

I carry mine in my right drysuit pocket on entry and descent. If I'm using it it's in my hand or clipped off to my right d-ring. The first time I used it was also the first time diving with a can light in Puget Sound. The right d-ring got pretty busy when the light head was clipped off, but when I did my ascents the camera was back in my pocket. I tried the left d-ring, but it got in the way of my inflator hose and I couldnt help feeling that there was a possibility of getting caught around my longhose.
When I dive local, they are beach dives and I put the housing back in my pocket before ascending, just for the sand issue and I would rather not lose it (it cost about 1/4 of what OE2X paid for his :wink: ) cause I'm poor.
I secured a LARGE Deep Outdoors boltsnap with bungee to the housing very close to the body so it is very secure. The size of the boltsnap also allows me to hook my ring finger through the ring while in use so I know I have a good grip on it. If you want pics I can post them later.
Robb

Well everyone, mounting on my right sholder d-ring was a bust. it was too busy and required me to run the security bolt snap (the one on the long piece of 550 cord) around hoses which was very difficult to get right. Just too much for me, however, I found a better place: on the crotch strap. If I am not using a scooter, the scooter ring provides a great place to clip both of my bolt snaps onto. And It was out of the way from the long hose, inflator, etc. I like this mounting place much better.

CNTdiver:
I am having trouble finding out where I should put my camera while not in use. I have not heard of a set "DIR" standard for this, but if anyone has any recommendations, that would be terrific. Thank you for your time.

I had the same question, and it really looks like the best place is in your hand. If the camera is small enough to fit in your pocket, then do that. If it's too big and has strobes and arms, then the best way is to have it hand held.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom