Camera suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
Could also get the Light and Motion Stingray sport? (aka Top Dawg?) housing for that camera for I think $800 or so. I'd take that any day over an Ikelite.

Yes, actually that's my question as well, which is the best deal (quality and $), Ikelite, Light and Motion, then Sea & Sea?
http://www.seaandsea.jp/press/vxs1s2.html

HC3 is more popular now (user can find editing s/w), however, the SR-1 (hard disk) can store HD images upto 4 hrs, the drawback is, there is no s/w yet for the AVCHD compression format.... any comment?

alo100:
Yes, actually that's my question as well, which is the best deal (quality and $), Ikelite, Light and Motion, then Sea & Sea?
http://www.seaandsea.jp/press/vxs1s2.html

HC3 is more popular now (user can find editing s/w), however, the SR-1 (hard disk) can store HD images upto 4 hrs, the drawback is, there is no s/w yet for the AVCHD compression format.... any comment?

For me, HDV is already enough of a compromise to not want to go to (right now at least) as far as I understand it, the lower quality of AVCHD (maybe this will get better later?)

I also like the tapes as it's an easy and cheap way to keep archives of my original material without needing HD storage for it all.

I have an IKELITE housing for a Nikon still camera. Maybe their video ones are better but I detest the manual controls -- will never buy another IKE again.

I have only used L&M housings (Bluefin HD and Mako) -- have never used the Top Dawg, but there are some limitations with it compared to the bluefin housing I think (no WB?, Flat port is lower quality, lesser depth rating)

Also, I am making no comment on the HC3 versus the camera Mike V recommended. I have never used either (just the Sony PC-350 & FX1).

What about the JVC hard disk ones that are out at the moment? They seem to be advertising a bit in some of the diving rags? ..

I'm looking at getting a video cam for topside use, but I figure I might as well get one that I can house easily..

limeyx:
For me, HDV is already enough of a compromise to not want to go to (right now at least) as far as I understand it, the lower quality of AVCHD (maybe this will get better later?)

I also like the tapes as it's an easy and cheap way to keep archives of my original material without needing HD storage for it all.

I have an IKELITE housing for a Nikon still camera. Maybe their video ones are better but I detest the manual controls -- will never buy another IKE again.

I have only used L&M housings (Bluefin HD and Mako) -- have never used the Top Dawg, but there are some limitations with it compared to the bluefin housing I think (no WB?, Flat port is lower quality, lesser depth rating)

Also, I am making no comment on the HC3 versus the camera Mike V recommended. I have never used either (just the Sony PC-350 & FX1).

I see want you mean, agree, my original idea is, by using hard disk, I don't need to change any tape for the full day, e.g. multiple dives (don't want to open the housing at somewhere of which I have no idea about the humidity, blur the interrier of the housing etc), then by the end of the day I'd be able to do my editing when both air conditioning on and when my laptop is ready. files in HD from the camcorder -> HD of my pc -> CD, hopefully the s/w is coming soon.

but the AVCHD is a pain when I heard all of these:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t132066.html
I asked the salesperson before, the s/w is coming up according to what he heard from SONY, but when the s/w is not coming with the h/w when they sell it to us, it would probably mean that we have to buy it seperately....
So, by the mean time, the SONY PS3 would know how to play the disk in AVCHD format (according to another post), our DVD players would not, it makes me wondered what's going on...

Please keep me in the loop, I thought I have decided what to buy, but it looks like that more HD camcorders are coming out, need to hear more feedbacks and reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom