Camera vs Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MEDICJOJO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can you use any camera as long as you have the proper housing to fit that type of camera or dose camera also need to be waterproof?

Any camera---that's what the housing(lol---hopefully) is for ie keeping camera SAFE....

I'll add that, if you're buying new gear for UW pics, make sure to compare the cost of the camera and housing combination. Some cameras will be cheap, but housings very expensive, while others might be a bit more expensive camera, but there are cheaper housings available.

FWIW I've had good experience with Canon camera and a Canon housing. I have an older A570is and housing and I think the whole set up was about $275. I've since added a strobe and have been very pleased with the results.

If you do not have a camera, it is good to have a camera with RAW capabilities for underwater photography. White balance is pretty vexing underwater. RAW allows you to fool with the white balance in post processing without penalty.

Also RAW allows you to do far more corrections to exposure, highlights and shadows. Exposure is really tricky underwater. Having more latitude in these areas can be a really big plus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom