Can anyone help me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

allyssaj507

Registered
Reaction score
West Coast of Florida..Just north of Tampa
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay so here's the deal...I am doing an internship to get my divemaster cert from a local shop. However, he hasn't done it with this shop before, so he asked me to basically come up with my own internship proposal. I have no idea what to do in this area, I am not really sure what is fair and what isn't as far as diving internships go. I just could really use some ideas so I don't screw myself over, and I also don't want to screw him over either. I want it to be a win win situation. Does anyone have any ideas about length of internship, or what my internship should entail as far as hours towards compensation...I am AOW right now, and the would be taking me through to Rescue and Divemaster...and basically what I would be getting is the instruction for free, which turns out to be around $600, and the learning that comes from interning in the business. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. It is about 1am EST right now, and I am supposed to have a proposal for him by tomorrow afternoon so if you guys have any ideas please please get them to me as fast as possible.
Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
If you are doing naui, you might want to state that. PADI has a standard check off list, and every requirement is published in their instructor's manual. I see that you're Naui certified, I assume that you're doing a Naui internship.

There are so many possibilities, and recommending one at random would be illogical. What might I suggest?

For a first step in the right direction, I would *highly* recommend *not* whipping together a proposal in almost no time with almost no consideration. You need to figure out exactly what you're wanting to get out of it and what you're willing to put into it, and you need to work out how that meshes with your shop.

Rushing into it will not benefit anyone. Take a few days to read through a few pages worth of threads here and elsewhere on ScubaBoard, and you should be able to figure out how *you'd* like things to work. Consider it your first responsibility on the road to Divemaster -- after all, a divemaster who sends things off half-baked is no divemaster at all.

Thanks for replying I really appreciate it...Anyway, nope, i am switching to padi...when you say checklist, do you mean checklist for how to do an internship? If that is in fact what you mean, do you know if they it available online?

If it's PADI, they have their own set of requirements for the internship program. Use those and just go from there. Basically, they require 5 Pool sessions and 5 OW sessions, as well as a couple other things. The biggest question is what constitutes a pool session, and what constitutes an OW session. It could be one dive, one day, or one complete OW class from start to finish. I'd suggest your first step is looking at the standards/course requirements.

No, it is not online, but rough outline of it is.

Essentially, they are as followed:

Stamina test, which can be found on scubaboard - 400 yrd timed swim, 800 yrd timed fin and snorkel (legs only), 15 minute float, last 2 with hands out of water, and 100 yard tired diver tow (timed). Usually, this is done bit by bit, unless you want to get it all out of the way in 1 day.

Demonstration of the 20 skills to "instructor" demonstration quality.

Perform a DM lead activity (skin dive, refresher course, etc) under supervision.

Assist at about 4 confined water dives, and about 4 OW dives. I am not totally clear on this, because I did about 3 CW classes, which is like about 13 equivalent dives.

Assist or participate in 5 or so "advanced dives", which might be AOW dives, specialty dives, etc.

An instructor decided mental diving task (underwater gear exchange, or what ever other torture he might think of) to challenge your diving acuity and ability to make decision while drowning.

A mapping project of a dive site. This can be extremely simple or complicated, depending on how anal your instructor is. You can use a combination of kick count, triangulation (at the surface, using a compass and 2 or more readings, combined with a satelite map), or I've read - even using a GPS device!! I used a tape ruler underwater, kick count, and triangulation combined with a satelite map (you'll have to match the map to your lake's depth, as the surface area will change depending on the season).

Any PADI instructor here can give you the exact spelling on the requirements. But it is pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
There's nothing special about doing it at a new shop. PADI's DM program is standardized. At the very least, he can let you borrow his instructor manual so you can flesh out the standard program to your liking. Keep in mind that he cannot add any requirements for you to earn the certifications.

However, any good instructor will make sure you are solid once you come out of it. So a longer-than-standards voluntary internship (i.e. helping out during more classes, more demos of your 20 skills, etc) is a great thing for both you and the divers that will someday be in your care.

This is what I would suggest -

1. Assist during at least THREE OW classes (from beginning to end). Space out the timing of these.. Do the last one as the last thing in the program.

2. Assist during one AOW, TWO Rescue (one towards the end of your program), a couple specialties if you have the time.

3. Don't do the water stamina requirements cold unless you swim regularly. Don't go in with the intent to get lucky and squeak by (like most people end up doing) ... practice, practice, practice so you learn better swimming technique and get great scores on your first attempt.

4. Do MANY dives at the local sites where classes are certified. This time with the intend of finding any nook and cranny of the place. At the end, you wanna be able to navigate around almost instinctively in the worst viz possible.

5. Do all other standard requirements as per standards.

Thanks for the reply big country, do you know if Padi has a list of the requirements online?

PADI's requirements are listed on the application. It's included in your DM Crewpack, or your instructor can download it from the PADI Pros site.

You are required to intern 5 confined water dives -- that's ONE complete class. The same with your OW dives. Personally, I think you should intern many more classes. I did.

Hmm, there's is an application in my crewpack?? I guess I am going to have to look for it. Don't remember seeing it.

I agree with Rawl, it is best to follow at least 3 OW dives. Unfortunately, with the state of the economy.... I don't think they are going to have more than 1 rescue class per year with my dive shop.

There is an added advantage of not completing your DM too fast - you will be covered by your instructor's liability insurance as long as you are a DM intern. The more classes you attend, the more situations you'll put yourself in .... and it is good for you. It is good to get positive and negative feedback from the instructor, and it will make you a better diver.

I am in no rush to finish my DM application...

Back
Top Bottom