Can anyone help me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, with the state of the economy.... I don't think they are going to have more than 1 rescue class per year with my dive shop.

You don't have to DM ANY rescue classes................ or were you trying to say something else that I missed?

No, it is simply a reply to Rakkis's statement that it is good for a DMintern to assist at 2 rescue classes. You're right, you don't have to assist any rescue classes.

I think if you intern enough OW classes, you'll get to do some real "rescue" skill. I've assisted a fatigue and tired diver up to the surface, and towed the same diver back to shore on 2 separate occasions.

I've met another DM who still assist for gratis, simply to get more experience prior to enter the instructor program. I respect folks who knows what it takes to be a good instructor.

I'm not a divemaster, so I may very well be wrong, but there seems to be some confusion in these posts over what the agency requires to certify a divemaster and what a dive shop needs to make giving free instruction worthwhile. I think the OP is asking about the latter.

Yes Vladimir, I was referring to what a dive shop needs to make giving free instruction worthwhile. The other information has been very helpful too, but what the shop is really trying to get me to propose is about the above-mentioned "internship".
Thanks everyone for all of your help, it is very much appreciated.

I think what I posted before was that it took me about 60 hours to complete the interning requirement for my DM. I guess you can propose that anything beyond 60 hours is your "gift" to them.

So the deal to them could be calculated on the minimum wage of, what is it, $5.35 or so. Say that you would intern every OW classes for them beyond the 3 for free, for another 6 month, 9 month, or a year or so, depending on how many they do a month? Free air fill? Half price on all certs and specialty class you assist with and complete?

Divide $600 into the 5.35, and you get like about 120 of free labor you own them. Add it to 60, and that makes it 180 hours. Divide it into the hours per CW and OW class, and it will be approximately 10 complete OW class you'll need to intern for free as an assistant.

You'll gain great experience, they'll have another hand to assist in the pool, air is free, cost of your specialty courses are half price? It is a win win situation right?

But you'll have to prove that you are an asset and not a liability. I would suggest always carrying extra mask, snorkels, orings, regs, weights, and gears with you. And they will appreciate your help even more. My guess is if you sputter as a DM intern, the relationship will end very quickly. Being efficient in getting your gears on and off, helping students into and out of the water, and simply being a good dive buddy will serve you well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom