Can anyone identify this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pbowl

Reaction score
Can anyone identify what species the white fan-like things are? I've got quite a few pictures of them, but I can't seem to find a species name. Thanks!

Without giving us a location reference, a species tag is highly problematic.

However, the background biota in your images appears to be Caribbean, in which case the worms in your photo are very likely Bispira brunnea. It's a very common fan worm that is usually found in small clumps like that. They come in different colour shades.

yeah sorry I forgot to include location....Bimini, Bahamas

Yeah, Bimini will work for Bispira. Even though the Bahamas aren't part of the Caribbean, they contain pretty much the same critters.

Archman, the other day I had a discussion with a member in another forum about what the "Caribbean" really is, I was telling him that the Bahamas, Florida, Bermuda and the Gulf of Mexico are not part of the Caribbean. He didn't believe me, and refused to acknowledge that I was right, I guess I wasn't convincing enough.

Rocha:
Archman, the other day I had a discussion with a member in another forum about what the "Caribbean" really is, I was telling him that the Bahamas, Florida, Bermuda and the Gulf of Mexico are not part of the Caribbean. He didn't believe me, and refused to acknowledge that I was right, I guess I wasn't convincing enough.
I have this problem all the time. This "north Caribbean bio-province" can't be categorized geographically other than "west Atlantic". All those islands north of Cuba aren't part of the Caribbean Basin, and neither is the Gulf of Mexico. Yet they usually share most of the Caribbean biota. Only biologists use biogeographical province nomenclature, of which "Caribbean Province" at least has grudging acceptance for areas outside the actual basin. Most of the Gulf of Mexico, for instance, is categorized this way. But province names are only meant to be used in biological contexts.

I just refer to the Bahamas and south Florida as "northern Caribbean" when I talk to most people. It's a tolerable compromise. I tried using "Bahamas Platform" a few times, but it simply does not roll off the tongue well. And anyway it only applies to the Bahamas, that marvel of geology.

LeslieH:
I'll agree with Bispira but not with B. brunnea, at least not without a specimen in hand! There are a lot more clustering species in the "Greater Caribbean" (as one colleague puts it) than just brunnea.

Somehow, I KNEW you were going to say this.

Once more, the worm people sally forth! Now I know what's going into the 3rd edition of Reef Creatures, more fan worms. Bleah!

"Greater Caribbean" hmmm... I like that...

archman:
Somehow, I KNEW you were going to say this.

Once more, the worm people sally forth! Now I know what's going into the 3rd edition of Reef Creatures, more fan worms. Bleah!

"Greater Caribbean" hmmm... I like that...

You should have, just as I would expect you to comment on anything deep sea, spiny skinned, covered in your classes, etc. We're both knowledgable, opinionated people! :wink:

And actually I agree with you about "more fan worms. Bleah!" There are so many other adorable worms that skipped over in favor of the showier fans.... sign......

Back
Top Bottom