Can Anyone Recommend A Dive Tour For Hamilton Island In the Great Barrier Reef Aussie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My partner and myself are going diving abroad for the first time, we are quite new to diving and would like to Dive with a reputable or recommended tour/school.

We are from Glasgow in Scotland - So if anyone whants info on diving here let us know!

Hi Helena

Can't help as I'm pretty clueless about it - but I'm going there too, from Ireland. I've dived in Mexico once, otherwise in Ireland. I'm planning to go to Australia and scubadive all the places round there. So if you learn anything about a good operator - let me know and I'll do the same!

Best
Annie

I worked in Airlie Beach for six months recently and highly recommend a 3-day live-aboard Broomstick. It's an ex-racing yacht, leaves from Shute harbour (Close to Hammilton) and is run by Pro-sail Australias largest crewed sail charter. I did worked on it for a while and it was the best thing I've ever done.

Try here

http://www.prosail.com.au/index.htm

If you want any further info, just let me know.

For any true GBR diving most of the Dive Ops are further north and based in Cairns, Townsville or Port Stephens. Some ops are in Gladstone farther south and is the staging port for getting out to Heron Island. If you want to Scuba, change to Heron Island NOW. Hamilton has no decent viz or Scuba ops, it's all big resorts and Sail boat charters.

Suggest you look at this Website for diving OZ, go to www.DiveOz.com.au

It will give you some idea.

Best Liveaboard is Mike Ball Spoilsport out of Cairns

Best Dive area is Coral Sea

Best Big Fish Dive Cod's Hole,Look out for Grumpy the Groper, he eats divers heads by mistake...true!

AusWiz (Sydney, Australia)

Considering I'm Irish I'm surprised to find myself correcting an Aussie about the countries greatest asset. The Great Barrier Reef spans the whole coastline of Queensland and includes the ribbon and platform reefs that can be found off Cairns (and other locations), as well as the fringing reefs that can be found around the Whitsunday (and other) island. There are some excellent sites outside of Cairns (remember its considered the world biggest living organism) and some are considered better due to the lack of traffic constantly going through there.

Wherever you go .... Enjoy !!

If you're heading to Hamilton Island, Oceania Dive in Airlie offer great value for money with good diving good food all aboard a great boat.
ps Mike Ball is approx three times as expensive which adds up to a lot of money when there's two of you.
There's lots of choice and differing prices...

Hamilton Island has a dive shop called H20 Sportz which operates daily dive trips to the 'outer reef'
Bait reef is approx 20km from Hamilton and 38km from the mainland and yes it is the GBR. The stepping stones at Bait Reef are a well known dive site. The islands in the Whitsunday group (real name the Cumberlands) since Whitsunday Island in only one of the 70+ islands in the region, have fringing reef systems with generally poor viz (6-10m) but they are in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. Hook Island has some good dive sites with Manta Ray Bay being one of the best.
A double dive to Bait Reef inc all equipment and lunch will cost approx Aus$120.
a three day/night liveaboard ex Airlie Beach will cost approx Aus$400-550.
The main ops in Airlie are Pro Dive, Oceania and Reef Dive (SSI)
Many of the boats are full of open water students on training dives which may not please many of the cert divers out there.

I am a dive instructor going to Australia to teach. Right now I am looking at working for Reefjet in Airlie Beach or H2O Sports on Hamilton Island. Does anyone know about either? Or know of any other good shops in Aussie that would be fun to work at?

Wow, talk about resurrecting old threads. I was last on Hamilton Island 20 years ago when I lived in Hawaii and roamed around the Pacific in and out of the Navy. The island was a great place to visit - nice big runway. The staff there did not have it so good. They lived "over the hill" in barracks-like trailers with flimsy locks and marginal security. Plus they paid the same prices as guests for food and beers. Anyone could get employment there - Commonwealth or not. Kinda slavelike feel to the place for the staff. But very, very confortable for guests. I could have lived there for a while but I only had two weeks.
Keith Williams who developed all this lived in a pretty nice home that featured, along with a few other amenities, a retracting helipad. As soon as I stepped onto the main street there, I get whomped with some serious déjà vu - the developer had been so taken with Front Street in Lahaina, Maui that he copied the whole thing down to fine details. It was unreal since I had just been on Maui a couple of weeks earlier.
The whole Whitsunday Island chain is great for cruising since it's mostly deep water with easily seen reefs. It is so accomodating that the allies staged their fleet here before the Battle of the Coral Sea in 1942.
It's a two hour quick cat run to the GBR. So-so diving. Better cruising grounds. I saw a bunch of huge glitz yachts.
Not sure this is going to help any of the above being the 9th post in a 7-year old thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom