Can I dive 6 weeks after ACL reconstruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone. Lots of food for thought. My doc is definitely a fan of aggressive PT and getting moving as soon as possible. Also, I'm having a donor ligament put in, rather than using my own tissue (less painful, quicker recovery). I'm thinking of keeping the trip booked as-is, but reserve the right to send my hubby off with our friends as a buddies-a-trois if I'm not feeling up to it. Anyone know if there's enough to do on Saba to keep me happy if I can't dive?

time flys when you'r havin rum :D

I'd only be repeating what everone else said about PT but I would like to chime in and agree with WadeDeeper, you should get DAN insurance if you don't have it already.
I think every diver should have it and especially those who travel to do their dives.

Well, had the surgery on Friday and diving in July is definitely out. While the surgery itself went well, my bones are softer than the doc expected, and he's keeping me off my leg and out of PT for the first 10 days while the anchors attaching the ligament to my bone get well-healed into place. I was already on the cusp of diveability before this little wrinkle, so now it's a definite no-go.

For future reference, can I get DAN insurance even though I'm PADI certified? Does it have to be purchased at the time of booking?

You can buy DAN insurance anytime. Go online to DAN Divers Alert Network and sign up right now. Doesn't matter what agency or level you are, you can sign up anytime. Though it does help to sign up before leaving with enough time so they can send you the cards in the mail. Cards have lots of info on them and most countries recognize DAN so hassles will be less too. The Master plan has the coverage against lost gear or trip cancellations, etc. Costs $70 / year...but well worth it. If you are a diver, you should really have it...especially since most health coverage doesn't include hyperbaric treatment...and it can get very costly if you ever do need it. With DAN = $0...without...$$$$$$

For future reference, can I get DAN insurance even though I'm PADI certified?
Sure. In fact, that may make it all the more imperative. :wink: (Gratuitous PADI bash)

Does it have to be purchased at the time of booking?
It's not specific to a particular trip; if you dive with any regularity, especially if you travel to dive, you should probably always have it.

DAN insurance is chaep enough that you should buy the complete year round coverage. Certification agency is irrevalent. As for diving, I have many old injuries. My knees and ankles were the hardest to bounce back in diving from. Ask in PT about swimming and water therapy during recovery. If it is recommended for your particular recovery, it will really help you. If you get into a dive with current situation without some work, you will hurt. I made that mistake. It didn't damage my knee or the ligament, but damn, it hurt like hell during and for days after. With my ankle, the pool pt really helped avoid that strain.

For future reference, can I get DAN insurance even though I'm PADI certified? Does it have to be purchased at the time of booking?
When you ask about 'at the time of booking' it sounds like you are talking about trip insurance rather than regular DAN dive insurance. Regular DAN insurance has a limited amount of "Coverage for losses for dive trip canceled/interrupted due to injury or illness" but it's not really travel insurance - for example, does you no good if a hurricane wipes out your trip, a close relative dies, etc. DAN sells trip insurance separately as do lots of other outfits. Generally you have to purchase trip insurance within some limited time after booking your trip to avoid a bunch of exclusions, such as pre-existing conditions. You can typically buy later, but it won't cover as much.

DAN has nothing to do with PADI, NAUI, or whatever agency certified you.

Back
Top Bottom