Can I drink a few beers after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you will not find many 'wowsers' amongst the Aussie and Kiwi divers I know.
I did hear of one awhile ago, rumor has it.
Edit: Caveat to the above, drink of water before and after a dive, beer after that, also can't spell.

It might significantly raise you risk of DCS, ox tox, and doing something stupid on your next dive.

Just make sure it's after your last dive of the day and don't over do it.
Thanks for the help

I sure hope so ... since I regularly do!! :wink: In moderation of course. Heavy drinking can result in dehydration which can cause issues.

Kidding aside, good on you for asking. You clearly are working hard to be a knowledgeable, informed diver. We were all new divers once. I'll buy you a post-dive beer if we ever dive together!! :cheers:
Thanks for the help! Safe diving and look forward to that post dive beer!

Alcohol is a vasodilator (except at extremely high dosages). Thus moderate intake should increase tissue perfusion helping clear residual nitrogen.
In other words, bottoms up for safety :cheers:

Note: I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice. (But like that other guy , I do have a Master's Degree... in science!)
Very interesting, I guess I will have to run a experiment on myself

Alcohol is a diuretic. It causes your body to remove fluids from your blood through your renal system, which includes the kidneys, ureters, and bladder, at a much quicker rate than other liquids. If you don't drink enough water with alcohol, you can become dehydrated quickly.

Yes, reaching for a beer after a dive is not a good idea. There are a couple of theories why.

The first one is that goes hand in hand with the common scuba diving problem of dehydration.

Alcohol further dehydrates you which interferes with the release of nitrogen from your body. Some say that dehydration is one of the biggest contributors to DCS and alcohol aids that.

The first drinks that we should be talking after scuba diving are those that will rehydrate us. No alcohol or caffeine-based drinks.

The second issue is if you drink a lot. The alcohol can mask the symptoms of DCS and thus delaying treatment if you do have DCS.

Things you cannot do straight after scuba diving · Aussie Divers Phuket

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom