Can I permanently seal my battery canister?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning to build my own cannister light, and think I want to go as simple as possible. I've seen a lot of designs for battery cannisters, with latches etc. If I build the cannister with exposed charging studs, would I ever need to open the cannister (before the batteries died)? The only reasons I could come up with would be if the switch on the cannister failed... or if the batteries (NiMH battery pack) produce gas during charging or discharge that is not re-absorbed during the following discharge/charge cycle.

Any thoughts? I don't want it to build up enough pressure to burst while I'm wearing it. Aren't there lights that stay sealed all the time. I've been looking at the Brightstar Darkbuster 24 watt HID. It seems that you are never suppsed to open that light except to charge it, or replace the bulb.

For the lighthead, I'm planning to just use a ready made "pond light" with MR16 bulbs. I bought my switches and boots from McMaster. For the cable, I plan to use computer power cables. They have the three lines I needed for my planned design. (2 for the light, and the third for a charging circuit. I want one charging stud on my battery cannister, and one on the lighthead.)

For the battery, I couldn't think of a design that would be easier to make (and less likely to leak) than a PVC bullet.

Rev. Blade:
I'm planning to build my own cannister light, and think I want to go as simple as possible. I've seen a lot of designs for battery cannisters, with latches etc. If I build the cannister with exposed charging studs, would I ever need to open the cannister (before the batteries died)? The only reasons I could come up with would be if the switch on the cannister failed... or if the batteries (NiMH battery pack) produce gas during charging or discharge that is not re-absorbed during the following discharge/charge cycle.

Any thoughts? I don't want it to build up enough pressure to burst while I'm wearing it. Aren't there lights that stay sealed all the time. I've been looking at the Brightstar Darkbuster 24 watt HID. It seems that you are never suppsed to open that light except to charge it, or replace the bulb.

For the lighthead, I'm planning to just use a ready made "pond light" with MR16 bulbs. I bought my switches and boots from McMaster. For the cable, I plan to use computer power cables. They have the three lines I needed for my planned design. (2 for the light, and the third for a charging circuit. I want one charging stud on my battery cannister, and one on the lighthead.)

For the battery, I couldn't think of a design that would be easier to make (and less likely to leak) than a PVC bullet.

What happens if there is an external short and the battery basically catches fire?

You can limit that possiblity with a fuse in the battery case, but now you need to replace the fuse........

Can you vent gas fast enough through the switch? (the boot will pop like a ballon) NS latches are spring loaded and the lid will lift and vent before anything rude happens.

Tobin

Take a look at Metalsub lights think it may be what your speaking of I have one the battery is completly sealed with external contacts no venting off gasing etc. the light cable basicly plugs in and turns onto the battery contacts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom