Can Rec divers enjoy Truk ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not want to hijack this thread so if you would like to PM me we can discuss this in private, in the meantime have a read of this article http://www.direxplorers.com/new-dir-articles/1376-rock-bottom.html

I am not a DIR diver however I do like allot of their reasoning’s. If you do not know your SAC rate I would be happy to explain how to determine it.

As for the 80' limit that is a personal limit per cubic foot tank, as I stated, its an easy guide in open water that I use.

Great article. I'm a novice diver and dive with novice divers. This info is crucial. Thanks!

I am glad you enjoyed it. Continue to read and learn but more importantly you need to practice these idea's. Happy diving :)

Blue Lagoon is much better than the Truk Stop

I have dove Truk (Chuuk) eight times and still haven't come close to seeing it all. I was already experienced in deep penetration on deep Great Lakes wrecks before the first time I went out there in the later 70s. However, the first three times I went out we never dove deeper than 110 ft and I had the time of my life. I would have loved to dove the San Francisco and Nippo but that was way beyond 90% of divers in the groups I was with, so even though the Blue Lagoon guys would've taken me, I declined so as not to inspire others to get in over their heads. My wife and I went out later and with proper planning and gear we dove a lot of the deep stuff.
The water is warm and relatively clear, it is very easy to become overconfident and try to do something you shouldn't. Stay within your limits and you will have a great time. Buy "Hailstorm Over Truk Lagoon" by Klaus Lindermann before you go, it's the bible on Truk.
Go now! The wrecks are deteriorating rapidly. Many of my favorite places to explore on the shallower wrecks are no longer safe to visit. Palau is a fantastic place to dive but the wrecks don't hold a candle to Truk.
There is one really big problem with Truk, you will get hopelessly hooked on wrecks..... and wrecks can lead to Tek......

This is so right, I was in Chuuk two years ago and am dying to do back. I stopped in my LDS last week and talked to them about the road to tek!

There is one really big problem with Truk, you will get hopelessly hooked on wrecks..... and wrecks can lead to Tek......

Go now! The wrecks are deteriorating rapidly. Many of my favorite places to explore on the shallower wrecks are no longer safe to visit.

Which places are you referring to not being safe to visit? While I agree the wrecks are deteriorating, I am not aware of any areas that are unsafe.

Rob

Which places are you referring to not being safe to visit? While I agree the wrecks are deteriorating, I am not aware of any areas that are unsafe.

Rob

You wouldn't want to go too far down into the stern section of the Hoki Maru. F'ing bulldozer on rusting support struts above you, and aviation fuel in the next hold.

When I was in Truk a diver on our boat had been on the Rio de Janeiro Maru in the 80s and he showed us pictures, it was evident how much the port side was sagging in under its own weight. Time takes a terrible toll on submerged wrecks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom