Can someone give me a little detail about these tanks and valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbarter

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:confused: Not sure what I have, or what they are worth, could someone point me in some kind of direction? I took as detailed pictures of the numbers and the valve. Thanks in advance for your help =]

photo 4.jpgphoto 5.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpg

one on left is a fire-fighting air bottle (SCBA) or "Scott Pack" bottle....

one on the right might be a wind chime.....

Reactions: Jax
Think its worth anything? What about the one on the right? I have no use for them, a buddy gave them to me. They are for sale, but I dont really know what the fair value is.

Aww, y'all aren't helping!

The bottle on the right is an Aluminum 80 cu ft, manufactured during the years when the alloy used was a flawed "6351" alloy. Many places won't even fill them anymore, no matter how many tests they pass. So, sell it as scrap.

I don't know about the SCBA bottle - but it has been hydro'd pre-1990, as well. Someone else chime in here - is the SCBA also the 6351 alloy? :idk:

Aww, y'all aren't helping!

The bottle on the right is an Aluminum 80 cu ft, manufactured during the years when the alloy used was a flawed "6351" alloy. Many places won't even fill them anymore, no matter how many tests they pass. So, sell it as scrap.

I don't know about the SCBA bottle - but it has been hydro'd pre-1990, as well. Someone else chime in here - is the SCBA also the 6351 alloy? :idk:

It is also 6351 alloy.

Aluminum Scuba 80 tanks are cheap, you can easily find them with current hydro and viz for <$100 each these days. That's for the tanks made post 1990.

Tanks as old as yours are usable, but probably aren't worth the cost to send them through Hydro ($25-30 each here) and a viz plus ($25 here) so they are not very desirable. They haven't been done in over 20 years it looks like so depending on how they were stored they may not even pass.
Also for SCBA your tank is only 2215psi working pressure.

Scrap the tanks, you'll probably get 40-50 lbs of aluminum between the two of them (not sure what the scrap price of 6351 AL is for you but I was getting $0.50-0.65/lb here) as it's hard to find someone willing to pay more than scrap price for 35 and 40 year old Aluminum tanks. Then just sell the valves as they are probably still good. You'd probably get $10-25 for the scuba J valve online, maybe $5-10 for the SCBA valve.

Also the 4th picture is a medical oxygen regulator. It's probably worth $25-50 if it works and most of that value is in the yoke.

Last edited:
The al80..( US Divers) Aluminum...( right tank)..is a 6351 alloy tank...born in 1985...good luck getting THAT filled..even IF...you have a current hydro and VE...its one of the "suspect alloy" tanks...no one's gonna touch it.Can't say anything about the Scott Airpak tank..cept its an 6351 alloy tank as well. Make a great start for a set of windchimes!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom